Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The Anker 737 Power Bank is on sale, Picked one up from Anker for $89 bucks, it is on sale at Amazon for $91 bucks, it normal price is $150. I also purchased its charging base. A friend of mine has both. He is an Engineer with GE and he works at jobs site around the country and basically lives in hotel rooms. He tells me this combination is great. The charging base recharges the power bank quickly and keeps both his company laptop going but also is personal iphone and MacBook. This is a upgrade for I have Anker's earlier Power Bank batteries. They are still going strong but the have the USB-A port and with most of my stuff now USB-"C" I have a cable issue.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 11.58.20.png

Last edited:

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
The Anker 737 Power Bank is on sale, Picked one up from Anker for $89 bucks, it is on sale at Amazon for $91 bucks, it normal price is $150. I also purchased its charging base.
Unfortunately, the charging base does not work with the 737 power bank. Both the Amazon and Anker sites state:

“Please note that Anker 737 Power Bank (PowerCore 24K) does not support wireless recharge.”

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Unfortunately, the charging base does not work with the 737 power bank. Both the Amazon and Anker sites state:

“Please note that Anker 737 Power Bank (PowerCore 24K) does not support wireless recharge.
The 737 Power Bank and Charging base are not wireless. They are referring to the discontinued 737 MagGo Charger 3-in-1 station.

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
As I said above this is replacing my older Power Core batteries. The only thing I am charging wirelessly is, of course, My Apple Watch. The case I have my 14 Pro Max in does not work with MagSafe.

Southernguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2015
Hampshire
This whole thread has confused the hell outta me!

Just to be clear, you bought an anker battery that can’t wirelessly charge with a wireless charging dock so you can plug the battery into that with a cable to charge it?

why?

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
This whole thread has confused the hell outta me!

Just to be clear, you bought an anker battery that can’t wirelessly charge with a wireless charging dock so you can plug the battery into that with a cable to charge it?

why?
You didn't go to Anker's website. The charging stand is NOT wireless on the top of the stand there are contacts that mate mate with contacts on the Powerbank battery which is held in place magnetically. The stand also has charging ports. It is wireless only because you don't have to actually plug a cable into the powerbank when placed on the stand.

Note the 5 nubs on top that is where the Powerbank battery connects to the charging stand.
Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 19.21.57.png

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 19.27.20.png

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
You’ve confused the Powerbank 737 with this. The 737 does not have contacts to
mate with the base. On the web page I cited, you can see the contacts on the bottom of the Powerbank Prime. They aren’t there on the 737.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
You’ve confused the Powerbank 737 with this. The 737 does not have contacts to
mate with the base. On the web page I cited, you can see the contacts on the bottom of the Powerbank Prime. They aren’t there on the 737.
You are correct,:rolleyes: I was looking for a photo of the base of the Power Bank PowerCore 24K and could not find one showing the nub contacts. I was watching a YouTube of the correct combination and the first thing that happened is when the influencer placed the 20K battery on the magnetic base the whole thing unbalanced onto the desktop. Oh well, in hardly matters the charging base by itself if very good.

georgeram

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
You are correct,:rolleyes: I was looking for a photo of the base of the Power Bank PowerCore 24K and could not find one showing the nub contacts. I was watching a YouTube of the correct combination and the first thing that happened is when the influencer placed the 20K battery on the magnetic base the whole thing unbalanced onto the desktop. Oh well, in hardly matters the charging base by itself if very good.
I just bought the anker 737 powerbank and got it. It came with less than 20% battery so I have to charge it. The thing is it only comes with 1 cable? This cable isn't a cable that you connect to it on one end and connect the other end to an outlet to charge it. How am I suppose to charge this to an outlet then to 100%? I read online people use a pd usb c charger or a magsafe charger? I don't have either of those. I need to buy another cable or power adapter in order to charge the anker 737? Could I use either my Apple 20W USB-C power adapter that I charge with an iphone 13 mini with this? I also have a very old 5W usb wall charger that I use to charge with old my iphone SE. Would the 20W work? But it charges slowly? I had no idea that this anker 737 didn't came with a charger to connect to an outlet. Seems ridiculous that when I read online people use a pd usb c charger or something similar and have to pay for another item to use with this anker 737?

I have the dell xps 15 9520 laptop and it charges usb-c and the dell charger is 130w. Can I use that or not? However, I read something about dell xps not allowing non dell charger or powerbanks to go over 100w when using it. However, can I use my dell xps 15 9520 usb c original charger for the laptop to charge this anker 737?

It only came with one cable. The cable that is supplied in the box... that is meant to connect to your laptop that has a usb c port to charge right? Then how would I charge say an iphone 13 mini? What about an old iphone se? Also what about the other end of that one cable?

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I just bought the anker 737 powerbank and got it. It came with less than 20% battery so I have to charge it. The thing is it only comes with 1 cable? This cable isn't a cable that you connect to it on one end and connect the other end to an outlet to charge it. How am I suppose to charge this to an outlet then to 100%? I read online people use a pd usb c charger or a magsafe charger? I don't have either of those. I need to buy another cable or power adapter in order to charge the anker 737? Could I use either my Apple 20W USB-C power adapter that I charge with an iphone 13 mini with this? I also have a very old 5W usb wall charger that I use to charge with old my iphone SE. Would the 20W work? But it charges slowly? I had no idea that this anker 737 didn't came with a charger to connect to an outlet. Seems ridiculous that when I read online people use a pd usb c charger or something similar and have to pay for another item to use with this anker 737?

I have the dell xps 15 9520 laptop and it charges usb-c and the dell charger is 130w. Can I use that or not? However, I read something about dell xps not allowing non dell charger or powerbanks to go over 100w when using it. However, can I use my dell xps 15 9520 usb c original charger for the laptop to charge this anker 737?

It only came with one cable. The cable that is supplied in the box... that is meant to connect to your laptop that has a usb c port to charge right? Then how would I charge say an iphone 13 mini? What about an old iphone se? Also what about the other end of that one cable?

Since I have been a fan of Anker for years My 737 24K watt PowerBank came as expected. It too was charged to 20%. I already have the Anker Chargers used to top it off. My 737 was topped off by my Anker 150 Watt 747 Charger (GaNPrime). I have numerous cables on hand so that is not an issue either. I agree that it would have been nice for the 737 to come with its 100 watt charger and you can get it that way. There are several Anker chargers that will do the job for you. This is the one I would get. it is deeply discounted.

A detail about the PowerBanks, you cannot draw power from one while it is charging,

Last edited:

georgeram

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
Since I have been a fan of Anker for years My 737 24K watt PowerBank came as expected. It too was charged to 20%. I already have the Anker Chargers used to top it off. My 737 was topped off by my Anker 150 Watt 747 Charger (GaNPrime). I have numerous cables on hand so that is not an issue either. I agree that it would have been nice for the 737 to come with its 100 watt charger and you can get it that way. There are several Anker chargers that will do the job for you. This is the one I would get. it is deeply discounted.

A detail about the PowerBanks, you cannot draw power from one while it is charging,

So you bought this with the anker 150 watt 747 charger?

The thing is can't you use an Apple 20W usb-c charger to charge it though? What about that old wall charger for old iphone that is 5w?

What about dell xps 15 9520 laptop charger that is usb c and 130w?

Do I need to buy an anker charger to charge this anker 737 or can i use any of those chargers I already have or not?

I don't want to buy an anker charger to charge this anker 737 if I don't need one.

georgeram

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
No you should not have to as long as it has as least 100 watt charging capacity. Give what you have a try it should work.
I used the Apple 20W usb-c charger that I use with the iphone 13 mini and it works but it took over 4 hours to charge from under 20% to 100%. So charging an anker 737 from 0% to 100% would take over 5 hours. Does that sound right?

But there is no safety issues with using my dell xps 15 9520 usb-c charger that I use to use the same xps laptop right? It is 130w but when using it with non dell products, I believe maximum is 90w. So that means using the xps laptop charger would charge it really fast then? But is there any compatibility issues concerning volts or anything like that with the xps charger and the anker 737

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I used the Apple 20W usb-c charger that I use with the iphone 13 mini and it works but it took over 4 hours to charge from under 20% to 100%. So charging an anker 737 from 0% to 100% would take over 5 hours. Does that sound right?

But there is no safety issues with using my dell xps 15 9520 usb-c charger that I use to use the same xps laptop right? It is 130w but when using it with non dell products, I believe maximum is 90w. So that means using the xps laptop charger would charge it really fast then? But is there any compatibility issues concerning volts or anything like that with the xps charger and the anker 737
Yes it does. Here is a little fact about charging these big batteries at a low wattage. They last longer. In the case of the 737 this is somewhat mitigated by their computerised charge controls. It is over charging the kills lithium batteries. If you are using stand alone 18650 batteries make sure they have the safety chip installrd, cheap batteries don't and they can burst into flames. Always purchase top brands, The 737 internally uses 18650 batteries. Here is everything you need to know about them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.