Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
7929A53E-41F0-4E34-ACF0-BE41146E4BEB.jpeg

In it’s third and final season, based on Anne of Green Gables, this is a most excellent series about Anne, an orphan who is adopted by an adult brother and sister living on a farm on Prince Edward Island in the late 1800s. It’s really a treat, looking back in time at a simpler time, maybe an idealized portrayal of rural life on the farm and small town living, but very enjoyable.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It’s not the main focus of the show, but prejudice is touched upon in several episodes. I wonder if the original book did too? Expected is the Christian notion of saving the local savages (Indians) and indoctrinating them into civilized society. Just a comment, not up for debate in this particular forum.

Separate from prejudice, in the same episode, one of the characters come down with Sepis. The writing assumes the patient will die, but my quick reading of the subject indicates that most people survive Sepsis and 60% survive septic shock if it worsens to that. However, this story was in the time before antibiotics and maybe that’s the difference.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In Season 3, as Anne hits 16, the series turns towards women’s rights a very topical subject at the turn of the 20th Century. While Anne is involved publishing in a school paper, we discover the men leadership of the town including the minister are upset about writing about savages in the woods, eulogizing a black woman who passed away, and the final straw, writing an editorial about women’s rights. Then there is the crisis with her well to do best friend and Nuns mistreating Indians at their especially designated Christian School. :confused:

My guess is the books never delved into these issues? Not saying that is bad.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.