Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
@maugustine

The OP issue seems to be happening even with the current OS 17 betas. It´s very widespread at this pont. LOTS of post reporting it.

This seems like a pretty definitive fix according to reddit, try it and report back:

"Open the Home app, Home Settings, Speakers & TV, change to Everyone, and enable Require Password."
Is there some magic extra step I'm supposed to take, because this absolutely does NOT work for me.

I can't even get my Home app to leave my HomePods unpaired. I unpair the devices, restart the app and they're magically paired again.

I've had nothing but problems since a couple of updates ago - the last one required me to hard reboot one of my 2 HomePods.

The "only 1 HomePod has any kind of volume control with any kind of remote" issue JUST started Friday, and does not appear to be related to being connected to my ATV (My TV's currently set for the TV speakers. I tried to airplay music from my phone to the HomePods - like I've done without issue for the last 3 years) and only 1 HomePod has sound (the other doesn't register at all, even though they're paired).

I've also noticed the icon that shows up for the ATV being "paired" with the HomePods now only displays a single HomePod instead of both (when there's a stereo pair set up)

EDITING:
After fighting with both of them, unplugging both of them, resetting my phone, and re-creating the stereo pair, I now have volume control on both HomePods when I AirPlay from my phone to the HomePods. Now to re-set up with my ATV and see if that works.

EDITING AGAIN:
Adding back to my ATV audio output breaks it. Completely breaks it - I only have volume control through one HomePod - AND it completely overrides the setting I had just had fixed.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.