Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same camera issue as me which I started noticing today.

Basically, after taking a photo and viewing it in the photo’s app, it looks ok but a little blurry with less detail, but once you hit the edit button, the picture pops and shows all the detail and is no longer blurry.
And if you hit the cancel button, the pic will go back to blurry.

It’s really unusual and makes me think it’s a software issue.

I’ve attached two screenshots which help to highlight the issue.
One shows the image, and the other shows the exact same image after hitting the edit button.

For example, look at the ‘PlayStation’ writing on the controller box.
And the jack daniel’s writing.
Everything appears more in focus after hitting edit, and then slightly out of focus again after cancelling.

Never had this issue on any previous iPhone (X, 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 6S, 6, 5S, 5, 4S, 4)

Any one else?

33TYhIC.jpg

126i5OV.jpg

jb68

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same camera issue as me which I started noticing today.

Basically, after taking a photo and viewing it in the photo’s app, it looks ok but a little blurry with less detail, but once you hit the edit button, the picture pops and shows all the detail and is no longer blurry.
And if you hit the cancel button, the pic will go back to blurry.

It’s really unusual and makes me think it’s a software issue.

I’ve attached two screenshots which help to highlight the issue.
One shows the image, and the other shows the exact same image after hitting the edit button.

For example, look at the ‘PlayStation’ writing on the controller box.
And the jack daniel’s writing.
Everything appears more in focus after hitting edit, and then slightly out of focus again after cancelling.

Never had this issue on any previous iPhone (X, 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 6S, 6, 5S, 5, 4S, 4)

Any one else?

33TYhIC.jpg

126i5OV.jpg
Have you got optimise Setting on ?

Reactions: MEJHarrison

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Also tried taking photos with Smart HDR off, various other settings on and off and nothing helps.

Also, tried taking a photo in a 3rd camera app (Camera+), then exported the photo to my photo’s camera roll, and it has the same issue.

Just can’t work it out.
[doublepost=1539085761][/doublepost]
I couldn't replicate what you're seeing. Have you updated to 12.0.1?

Yep, done that this morning. No change.
Thinking it could possibly be a hardware fault, but would be weird if it is as the pics look fine and detailed once you hit that edit button.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Think I might have to take it to Apple.
It’s the strangest issue I’ve come across in the 7 odd years that I’ve owned iPhones.

Hopefully they’ll just swap it out.
[doublepost=1539089348][/doublepost]Also, I’ve noticed that when I zoom slightly on the photo, the the blur goes and it shows all the sharp detail and stays that way, but as soon as I come out of the photos app and back in, the picture is back to being blurry.

Baffled.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Update
After speaking with Apple support, trying various tests, profile installs, diagnostic tests, factory resets, I’m still having this issue.

I’ve booked an appointment with Apple for tomorrow, as I’m fed up now.
Pay £1,000 for a phone and have a silly little issue like this is annoying.

Update to follow

Last edited:
Reactions: MEJHarrison

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Update 2
Visited Apple for the Genius Bar Appointment tonight after work, and I explained everything to the guy, and demonstrated the issue in ALL photos taken from the iPhone XS.

He completely agreed with me and was also baffled as to why it was doing what it was doing.
He also agreed in saying that it must be a software issue.

After about 20 mins, he decided to just swap the iPhone XS with a brand new one.

I'm currently in the process of setting it up now, and will report back once that's done and I've had a chance to test out the camera.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Update 3
So... issue is still present!

I've tried setting up the new replacement iPhone XS as a new iPhone, tried setting it up and restoring from a back up.
Also tried setting up as a new iPhone and NOT signing in to an iCloud account to rule out the issue 'following' my iCloud account/profile.

So, seems like it can only be a software problem, BUT, how can that be on two iPhone XS models I've had.
Makes zero sense.

Now I really don't know what to do.
This issue is specific to the iPhone XS for me.

There are a hell of a lot more important things going on in the world right now, and I'm thinking maybe I should just put up with it now, in the hope it may one day fix itself via a software update or whatever.

The fact that I've paid a grand for a brand new iPhone XS and have this issue still bugs me though.

#FirstWorldProblems

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.