Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolmatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Hi,

Something weird and annoying happens each time I wake up my Mac (well to be accurate, about 90% of the time).

- my desktop background image is not shown
- I cannot switch through apps with CMD-TAB

BUT :

- I can work with the foremost window/application
- I can open the "Force quit applications" window (Command-Option-Escape) and switch to another app if this app is on the same space

Then after a minute or 2, the desktop wallpaper appears and everything goes back to normal.

My guess is the culprit is the MacOS Window Manager... but what is causing this behaviour ? I suspected the network sub system waiting to restore shared drives or opened files before giving Finder the good to go signal, but even without network and no apps open the same happens.

Any suggestions ?

MAcMini M1, Ventura 13.1

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Du you have USB devices attached like a scanner, keyboard or spinnng harddrives? This causes delays and stuttering here after waking from sleep or in case of the scanner which powers up when the monitor is switched on.

This is Apples Silicon USB device managment, not much to be done about it, unfortunately.

coolmatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Du you have USB devices attached like a scanner, keyboard or spinnng harddrives? This causes delays and stuttering here after waking from sleep or in case of the scanner which powers up when the monitor is switched on.

This is Apples Silicon USB device managment, not much to be done about it, unfortunately.

Well I followed that trail...

Removed my USB hub and even switched my monitor from USB-C -> HDMI to HDMI -> HDMI. The only USB device left is my keyboard. Same.

What puzzles me is that it is NOT ALWAYS happening, just enough (90% of the time) to drive me crazy ;-)

It seems that the duration of the sleep period is a parameter : if I come back to my Mac after only a few minutes of sleep, there are less chances that the freeze happens.

Last edited:

ringgit

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
Then after a minute or 2, the desktop wallpaper appears and everything goes back to normal.
I sort-of have the same symptom with you and I thought it was due to multi monitor or ultra wide monitor setup. Do you have similar set up? I also see many new phantom Spaces being created and they are named Desktop 18, 19, 20...

I didn't wait 1-2 minute but will do an Apple menu-Sleep and then wake it up immediately. The Mac will restore back to normal. Maybe next time I will wait more than a minute or two.

I shared my issue here:

coolmatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
I sort-of have the same symptom with you and I thought it was due to multi monitor or ultra wide monitor setup. Do you have similar set up? I also see many new phantom Spaces being created and they are named Desktop 18, 19, 20...

I didn't wait 1-2 minute but will do an Apple menu-Sleep and then wake it up immediately. The Mac will restore back to normal. Maybe next time I will wait more than a minute or two.

I shared my issue here:
A friend of mine suggested that my issue could be caused by multi monitor management. I once had a second monitor attached and I don't recall having the issue at the time. But maybe somewhere in a plist file there is a reference to the missing device and the system is trying to find it when waking up... Worth investigating. Thank you.

coolmatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
I think I found the answer !
@ringgit put me on the right track.

System Settings -> Displays -> Advanced -> Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off

This was unchecked (why ? was it me at some point ?). I turned it on and voilà !

EDIT : I spoke too soon :-( it seems there is another parameter to take in account : when the mac goes to sleep by itself (idle for a while) I don't have the issue as when I put him to sleep manually (via menu bar) I have the issue

Last edited:
Reactions: ringgit

ringgit

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
A friend of mine suggested that my issue could be caused by multi monitor management. I once had a second monitor attached and I don't recall having the issue at the time. But maybe somewhere in a plist file there is a reference to the missing device and the system is trying to find it when waking up... Worth investigating. Thank you.
I did an experiment. I took off one monitor i.e. running two monitors. When I wake up from sleep, sometimes, I do get that distorted wallpaper (with a big, black rectangle) and many Spaces named as Desktop 18,19, onwards. I further detached one more monitor, that is, I am only running one main ultra wide. The same issue happened. I am not sure if it was the ultra wide compatibility or, it was Ventura that is causing this. What an annoyance.

coolmatt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2012
Finally nailed it !
I had a shortcut to a remote file on my NAS placed into the Dock. The link to the file was broken, so at wake up the system tried to restore it, causing the Dock to "wait"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.