Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Just a brief test of iOS 10 beta 1 on iPhone 6s Plus.
These two are deal breakers for me.

I listen to music a lot, and all of them are either from iTunes Store or from elsewhere. i.e. None of them are from Apple Music.
The new music app blows a lot of elements up, making them big enough. This is good but:
Why "For You", "Browse" reappears at bottom and turning off "Show Apple Music" does not help?
I believe either Cue does not realise for non-subscribers, 90% of Apple Music is useless, or intentionally force users to subscribe for Apple Music. This is a real pain when in those pages, all songs are not playable, whether you buy it from iTunes Store or not.
I expect this can be removed through any method possible in the future, or I will stick at iOS 9.

Next thing is about notifications.
There are two types of notifications. One is banner, which will disappear automatically after a while, or alert, which will only dismiss when user choose proper actions.
In iOS 10 beta 1, banner works as expected, although I cannot dismiss it by swiping up. But alert, now becomes a "permanent banner" unless I take actions to remove it.

I can try to compensate them for now but I also expect they can be corrected in upcoming beta.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
I share the same sentiment.
To appease shareholders, they made a crappy app even more crappier.

They should have dropped "Downloaded music" all together and stuck to Apple music or whatever subscription they wanted to shove up our ***

Dark days for our own music library.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Banner will be fixed, that seems like a bug and it's beta 1 so there's a lot of room for improvement.

As for the Music app, it seems like this overhaul is meant specifically for AM users and those using offline libraries are best suited with a third-party app, which has been the case since 8.4.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
As for the Music app, it seems like this overhaul is meant specifically for AM users and those using offline libraries are best suited with a third-party app, which has been the case since 8.4.
What are you talking about? The first ****ing tab of the App is now LIBRARY. If you don't have Apple Music at all, or do but don't care, you need not go any further.
This literally makes your Library the most important thing.

The dumb **** that I have read today is staggering.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Just a brief test of iOS 10 beta 1 on iPhone 6s Plus.
These two are deal breakers for me.

I listen to music a lot, and all of them are either from iTunes Store or from elsewhere. i.e. None of them are from Apple Music.
The new music app blows a lot of elements up, making them big enough. This is good but:
Why "For You", "Browse" reappears at bottom and turning off "Show Apple Music" does not help?
I believe either Cue does not realise for non-subscribers, 90% of Apple Music is useless, or intentionally force users to subscribe for Apple Music. This is a real pain when in those pages, all songs are not playable, whether you buy it from iTunes Store or not.
I expect this can be removed through any method possible in the future, or I will stick at iOS 9.

Next thing is about notifications.
There are two types of notifications. One is banner, which will disappear automatically after a while, or alert, which will only dismiss when user choose proper actions.
In iOS 10 beta 1, banner works as expected, although I cannot dismiss it by swiping up. But alert, now becomes a "permanent banner" unless I take actions to remove it.

I can try to compensate them for now but I also expect they can be corrected in upcoming beta.

Look in the notification settings for each app. The alert style you describe is new in iOS 10. Alerts are now permanent banners like they used to be permanent pop ups in the middle of the screen.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Now the track seek button is even tinier. It does gives a fake illusion that it is big while seeking the track but the line from previous version has become a 5 pixel dot which my hands struggle to catch.

So what have they learnt?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Look in the notification settings for each app. The alert style you describe is new in iOS 10. Alerts are now permanent banners like they used to be permanent pop ups in the middle of the screen.
But previous permanent pop up would interrupt my workflow to spare time on taking actions. But now! I can continue my work and let notification stay there forever if i like. What is the meaning of that? Especially when playing game, a constant banner would likely disrupt your view and make you angry.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
But previous permanent pop up would interrupt my workflow to spare time on taking actions. But now! I can continue my work and let notification stay there forever if i like. What is the meaning of that? Especially when playing game, a constant banner would likely disrupt your view and make you angry.

Exactly. If you want it to go away, you have to act on it. That's the whole point.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Exactly. If you want it to go away, you have to act on it. That's the whole point.
Seems that you still don't understand my point.
Anyway. I would give up alerts notification type for all apps starting from iOS 10.
[doublepost=1465913428][/doublepost]
Seems that you still don't understands my point.
No matter. I just need to give up using alert type notifications at all.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Seems that you still don't understand my point.
Anyway. I would give up alerts notification type for all apps starting from iOS 10.
[doublepost=1465913428][/doublepost]
Seems that you still don't understands my point.
No matter. I just need to give up using alert type notifications at all.

In the past, alerts would come up in the middle of the screen and interrupt you until you act on it. Now, they slide down from the top and stay there until you act on them (still interrupt you).

I don't see the difference other than now it's a banner and before it was a pop up.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
In the past, alerts would come up in the middle of the screen and interrupt you until you act on it. Now, they slide down from the top and stay there until you act on them (still interrupt you).

I don't see the difference other than now it's a banner and before it was a pop up.
No. They are different.
Pop up would also interrupt the app running in foreground, but banner would not.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
What are you talking about? The first ****ing tab of the App is now LIBRARY. If you don't have Apple Music at all, or do but don't care, you need not go any further.
This literally makes your Library the most important thing.

The dumb **** that I have read today is staggering.

How does that invalidate what I said? Third-party apps still provide a unified experience with tabs for Artists, Albums, etc...like in 8.3 and below.

You need a chill pill ASAP.

Reactions: rjalda100
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.