Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pajako

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2017
I posted a thread and feature request in Apple and Adobe forums.

Here is why:
In OS X mojave in the open/place windows the -what were different buttons in previous osx versions- for icon/list/columnview are compacted into a popupmenu.
Now every time I want to quickly change my view -when importing images a thumbnail really helps- I first have to open the menu, find the corresponding command, choose it and I continue.
Previously this would take one click.

Adobe has taken a similar approch in Acrobat where the comments checkbox has moved into a menu. So easy checking off comments after they are done is now a open-menu-click command and close menu again.

What are these UX designers thinking?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Maybe you can customize it, or use a keyboard shortcut (which IMO is far faster than one click)

brookter1

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2015
I'd say the opposite (and very annoying) trend is more prevalent: having functions on icons or context menus only so you can't give them shortcuts. There are very few actions which need to be mouse only - it's terrible design to force users to have to click when shortcut keys are so much more efficient when you're used to a program.

Also, it should be the law that every text element should accept Vim editing protocols.

Only half serious about that last paragraph, but it would be very nice...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.