Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alex Cai

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2021
Bartender needs to access the screen to work, which results this annoying block hanging out all the time
Can’t be deleted when dragged away or hidden via bartebder
anyone had ideas on how to hide this?
macOS Sonoma
截屏2023-06-30 下午3.25.28.png
截屏2023-06-30 下午3.25.12.png

Attachments

• 截屏2023-06-30 下午3.25.12.png
    截屏2023-06-30 下午3.25.12.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
This is most likely "working as intended" while in beta to possibly inform the devs of apps like Bartender that they need to update something due to an API change. I'd expect this to NOT be here anymore, and if it remains maybe not bright purple but somehow listed with the rest of the Control Center stuff.

Reactions: Alex Cai

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
mentioned this on the other thread (re bartender & the screen share icon) -

the icon has vanished from my air, and i just installed sonoma on my mini: no screen share icon. am happy, but wondering what the issue is (& why it's ok here now, but not for others)... 🤔

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
some ppl are still experiencing it, others (like myself, on both my macs) are not having the issue. fixed itself (!) on beta 2, and continues to not show on beta 3.

bartender developer suggests possibly the OS is 'learning' about the app's use, or just 'settling down'... 🤔

Berchti

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
just updated to b3 still having this annoying icon, considering a fresh install but don't think it will solve this little issue and is not worth the time, lets wait for b4 or some other OS 'learning' magic.

Maybe some AI will detect that as an issue and automatically remove it. *irony off*

frex

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
Germany
thanks everyone for confirming, I love this learning feature.

a spyware running for long time is no longer spy but your government (sorry for the joke as I'm from an authoritarian country, please ignore this if you are from a democratic state)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
just updated to b3 still having this annoying icon, considering a fresh install but don't think it will solve this little issue and is not worth the time, lets wait for b4 or some other OS 'learning' magic.

Maybe some AI will detect that as an issue and automatically remove it. *irony off*
again, wondering why the icon no longer shows on my air, and (after my first install of sonoma on my mini, it's never showed). bartender running on both macs of course... 🤔

• Wow
Reactions: Alex Cai and gank41

Berchti

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
Just for your info, I reinstalled Bartender and the icon was gone, but popped up again like 10mins after... :-/

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Just for your info, I reinstalled Bartender and the icon was gone, but popped up again like 10mins after... :-/
intel or silicon mac? am still trying to wrap my head around why it's no longer showing on my macs (not complaining lol, just curious...)

EDIT: if the developer's theories are right, you don't want to reinstall, you do want to be patient... see if the OS recognizes it, and stops displaying the menubar icon...

Reactions: gank41

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
more fun stuff: just woke my Air, and the screensharing icon popped up... then vanished. so, the OS perhaps?? or gremlins... 🤔

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
I still continue to see the icon, and only DON'T see it when I quit Bartender.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Bartender Blog has this:

Bartender 4 and macOS Sonoma Beta​

12 July 2023​

I am aware of the deprecated API warning macOS Sonoma is showing for Bartender, and do not need informing about it.

The API this refers to was just deprecated in macOS Sonoma, and the replacement Apple recommend does not yet have the features needed by Bartender 4, so I cannot yet update Bartender 4 to this.

You will also notice a new menu bar item in macOS Sonoma, informing you that Bartender is capturing your screen whenever it gets an image of your menu bar items, again this is new in macOS Sonoma, and currently unavoidable, because of the same API issue. I am working on Bartender 5 right now that will have the ability to avoid this happening.

I will release test builds/betas as soon as it is appropriate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.