Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
I'm a new switcher and every time I type text into a field in Safari or FF, the cursor disappears and i have to click or move my fingers around the trackpad until it comes back. There is like a 4 second delay before the cursor comes back. In windows, the cursor does not disappear when you type text in a field. This is pretty much the most annoying thing ever. Is there some setting somewhere? Also, the cursor keeps freezing in place. has anyone else noticed this, or is my computer defective? Like, just now, I finished typing, and my cursor was gone. Then I clicked and it came up a few seconds later, but it wouldn't move for another 2 seconds. wtf is happening?

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
yeah, i'm pretty sure i have the updates. the weird thing is, this is a replacement compy for my yellow mbp, and it is also yellow so i am send it back too. the first one had this problem too. maybe the yellow screen thing and freezing cursor are linked? :) The cursor just freezes at random times now. sooo annoying anybody help me...

oh yeah, and some times the cursor works, but 2 finger scrolling stops working for a few seconds. what in de

antdgar

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
I have a 2 day old macbook and my cursor also is invisible sometimes... I have all the updates etc.

thegrandmaster

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Valhalla!
Dude, it happens to me too.

I don't think its a bug, I think its intentional like when you use the arrow keys to navigate the page, it disappears then as well.

I can't see it being 'fixed' any time in the future.

jrmac22

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2007
Ive had the cursor freezing problem and found that I was accidently letting a second finger touch the trackpad causing the cursor to freeze until I lifted the second finger. Took a couple weeks to figure it out and it was annoying, hasnt happened since....

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
The disappearing cursor thing is a feature, as is the slight delay. Since the trackpad is so large, the odds of you accidentally grazing against it is increased as compared to other company's laptops. This way, should you graze against it, you don't have you cursor jumping all over the place, possibly up to the line above where you were just typing, causing you to put a sentence in the middle of a word.

RMD68

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Nice and informative reply. I had been wondering the same thing about the delay and now I know.

The disappearing cursor thing is a feature, as is the slight delay. Since the trackpad is so large, the odds of you accidentally grazing against it is increased as compared to other company's laptops. This way, should you graze against it, you don't have you cursor jumping all over the place, possibly up to the line above where you were just typing, causing you to put a sentence in the middle of a word.

nutman

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
you can turn it off. under sys prefs. mouse & keyboard. trackpad. uncheck accidental trackpad input.

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
The delay you're talking about (not actually freezing, just a built in delay) bugged me at first, so I turned it off in system preferences. You're welcome to try it, but that bugged me WAY more. If you turn that setting off, you can now trigger the curser in the middle of typing, which can move the curser out of the text field you were typing in, or do all kinds of other annoying things. I left it off for about two minutes before getting so annoyed with it that I turned it back on. It may be worth it to try it off just so you'll appreciate it when it's back on, instead of being annoyed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.