Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silence

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
I have another annoying problem which i've racked my brains over and over.. yet i still can't seem to find an answer.. :mad: i'm hoping someone here can please show me the light!

After saving artwork as 'save for web' (jpeg or gif) in illustrator CS.. it ALWAYS leaves a thin white border around the image. It wouldn't usually be a problem except for when the webpage is a dark colour or black. Why does it do this?? Does anyone know how to avoid this frustrating problem?

:confused:

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Have you tried removing any borders of the artwork outer lines? Even clear ones. Just set them to border: 0.

silence

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Hm in Illustrator i don't think there is a function where u can select border: 0. I do set border: 0 in Adobe GoLive, but that doesn't make a difference as there is already a white border existing in the image. :(

silence

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
that's the thing.. even with all borders / strokes set to '0'.. it still creates a slight border.. you wouldn't usually notice it, until you place that artwork ontop of a dark background.. even within Illustrator. Photoshop doesn't have a problem.. it's just with any artwork saved from illustrator.... argh :confused:

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
MacRumorSkeptic said:
I've never encountered such a problem. You might want to try exporting after setting crop marks to the overall image and see if that works.

yep, i was just going to suggest that. try setting cropping the image 1 pixel in on each side.. (that should remove the thin line)

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
If this happens when you "save for web" then you probably have your matte color set to white. When you are in the Save for Web dialog box, look over to the right where it says "Matte:" Make sure that is set to None. If this makes your artwork look choppy around the edges set a matte color that is the same as the background color of your webpage.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Stampyhead said:
If this happens when you "save for web" then you probably have your matte color set to white. When you are in the Save for Web dialog box, look over to the right where it says "Matte:" Make sure that is set to None. If this makes your artwork look choppy around the edges set a matte color that is the same as the background color of your webpage.

That sounds about right ... that or the crop to artboard option isn't selected?

peace | neut

silence

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
Thanks for the feedback guys :D

BOTH solutions work fantastic.. this will help out a lot with my next website!

Cheers bigears!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.