Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mistermacattack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Sorry, I'm sure this has been posted and talked about extensively. I am on the verge of buying another macbook. At this point, I'm a grad student and my computer uses have little to anything to do with either multimedia (aside from youtube vids or reddit). I don't edit photos except maybe to resize them. I use (used) Pages, Word, Evernote and browse the web. I have many friends and peers who are still using '12 macbook pros with ease. And some have a little newer ones as well as those with Airs. I have been using a Surface Pro 4 for a year and half now. I was switching from '12 macbook pro I thought it was on the fritz and it just needed another charger (asking the person I sold it to). I would have kept using it had I known and it ran just fine. Surface was a good idea, pen for notes (which I found I don't like that but enjoy pen and paper more), full OS and portable. But I really don't enjoy the experience of it and am again thinking of product value and taste. I don't like the kickstand concept and I have an iphone so the ecosystem is nice. I also really got used to OS X and enjoy it.

Given that I'm seeing many of my peers with that same macbook pro, and I really could have kept using my old '12 (I upgraded the ram to 8 and put an ssd in), what is the longevity of the current macbook air? I bring this up because I know the processor is 5th gen, but really on macs does it matter? Especially for someone who just types papers and browses the web? I mean how many more iterations of the os could possibly be put on it? But even more so, if my uses are quite small, like evernote (which i may or may not ditch once I can use notes on phone and mac again...), word, pages and safari, then would not the 5th gen processor be sufficient even in the future? I would like this to be a computer that I would not have to replace until well down the road.

Yes I realize the refresh may be soon...and although my biggest wish, like others would be a retina display...BUT... if someone were *hint hint* possibly buying my current computer and possibly for little to no more money than what I receive could I buy another new Macbook Air...then I'm looking at the Air...plus the air is so classic it's almost "non-apple terms" vintage and they may be phased out..
Any thoughtful opinions?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
If you just type papers and web browse/Youtube/whatever, even a laptop from 2010 era specs will be just fine (possibly older).

tresmith

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Consumer laptops have come along way. If you're not into photography, film making, or developing you don't need a very powerful laptop.

I used to consider myself an enthusiast and wanted/needed the most powerful computer to get the most mundane of tasks done. But now, since I don't do the aforementioned jobs, I work off of a late model 2013 macbook pro and I am perfectly content. I feel like I have horse power for years to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.