Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Hey everyone, I am the guy who just bought the iBook 600, and it is smoking fast, and does run hot on the left front. Now, I do not know everything about Macs, but I feel like I know a lot. Here though is another strange thing with this iBook.

Both the iBook, and my iMac have OS X.1.2. Here is the strange thing. The iMac is build number 5P48. The iBook is build 5P54c. Any body else out there have this build on anything other than an iMac? If it is a newer build, then why would it not show up in the software update? This iBook is really weird. I am going to run fractal tests and post the scores soon.

Thanks Chuck

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
iBook vs PowerBook

Chuck,
I cannot answer your question except to say that I have OS X Server and it used to have a build number. The build number for every version of OS X was always different for Server as compared to standard OS X. With the latest 10.1.2, I now note there is NO build number. Hmmmm.

And Chuck, I know this is off topic, but I followed your other thread with great interest regarding the iBook vs PB at smalldog.com. I personally was leaning towards the G4, but that is only because of the cool factor. I went to inCompetentUSA yesterday and tried the iBook and PB. It seems like the iBook was so slow, but then the ram was only 128 on their 600. As I said, I have a PMac 466 w/ 896 megs. What is your perception of the speed? What about the screen. The powerbook screen sucked. Even when viewing at proper angle the sides of the screen seemed to darken, whereas the iBook remained sharp over larger angles. Any thoughts?

Also, can anyone who owns a PowerMac compare the performance of an iBook 600 with it?

Thanks, all. Sorry to deviate from the thread, but you seem to be in my same shoes, but 2 weeks ahead.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Re: iBook vs PowerBook

If you click on "Version 10.12" in About This Mac option you will see the build number.

The reason for the iMac, iBook, Powermac and Powerbook having different build numbers is that the OS has to work slightly differently. Therefore different build numbers.

Guy

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
buffsldr

Which PowerBook did they have at incompusa? I have seen that, generally, most of the laptops there are messed up. I don't know if it the customers manhandling it, or the yahoo's that set it up. I do know, that I don't have the same issues on my rev. A TiBook that I have seen on any that they have there.

I have not yet had the chance to use a new iBook, but I do know that my 500MHz TiBook with 500MB RAM is speedy enough for pretty much everything I do on it. Once I install the new hard drive (60GB IBM TravelStar), I will be installing all of my 3D/animation apps and using those. I will let everyone know how it handles, since it will be my desktop replacement (at least for several months).

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
My DP 800 with 10.1.2 has build number 5P48. Laptops have some different extensions and control panels, and therefore have a different build number.

Well, Ensign Paris, explained this perfectly... but one more post for me! :p

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I don't know if I believe these explanations of build numbers. My iMac DV 400, PowerBook G4 500, PowerMac Quicksilver 867, and the beige G3 desktop I use at work, all have build 5p48, and 3 of them were installed from different Media. I think the explanation is simply that the newer machines, that come from Apple with 10.1.2 installed on them, have whatever is the latest stable build that Apple has on hand pre-installed. Some of these builds may in fact be a requirement to support some aspect of newer hardware, but if you cloned the OS from a newer, higher build to an older machine, I am fairly certain it would work, and reflect the same build number seen on the newer machine. If your iBook came with a System Install CD (not the restore CD, those almost never work on different machines) try running it on a different machine and see if you don't get the same build number as your iBook.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by IndyGopher
I don't know if I believe these explanations of build numbers. My iMac DV 400, PowerBook G4 500, PowerMac Quicksilver 867, and the beige G3 desktop I use at work, all have build 5p48, and 3 of them were installed from different Media. I think the explanation is simply that the newer machines, that come from Apple with 10.1.2 installed on them, have whatever is the latest stable build that Apple has on hand pre-installed. Some of these builds may in fact be a requirement to support some aspect of newer hardware, but if you cloned the OS from a newer, higher build to an older machine, I am fairly certain it would work, and reflect the same build number seen on the newer machine. If your iBook came with a System Install CD (not the restore CD, those almost never work on different machines) try running it on a different machine and see if you don't get the same build number as your iBook.

Cloning the OS from one system to another is not recommended. Using one cd for all of them works, since Apple has made the same installer for all of them but it installs the different parts as needed. I wouldn't move the OS from a G4 to a G3 and expect it to function, or at least be stable. I do make an installer cd from the latest that came with the newest system we recieve and then use that for all systems. That way, we can use the one cd for all systems, including the latest. I also put all of our utilities onto the cd, along with a few other choice updates and small applications that we use for system maintenance.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Sorry it took so long to get back on this. It would make sense that laptops would use different builds than desktops, I had just never seen it. Also, this little iBook is fast, really fast. It is faster than my iMac 600 Flower Power that has a gig of ram. The iBook only has 384. Thanks for all of the responses though.

Talk to everyone soon.
Chuck

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
My iBook 500 moves to 600 in July

With a little help from the Internet, I'll be moving my iBook from 500Mhz / 66 Mhz bus to 600Mhz / 100Mhz bus in July.

Actually, the day after my warranty expires. :)

Does anyone else have experience with this operation?

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
The Real Reson

It's very simple. You actually have something equivalent to v. 10.1.1.9, which Apple counts as 10.1.2. When you update your comps to 10.1.3 when it coems out, they will have the same build number. How do I know? My iBook, which came with 10.0.3, once updated, had build 5P48, just like everyone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.