Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

used iMac Pro base model vs brand new iMac i9 ?

• new iMac i9

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • used iMac Pro

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
Hello Mac lovers of the forum,

I have the systems you see in my signature. Just sold my 13" mbp after realizing that with the new iPadOS, I can handle the tasks I do on the go with an iPad Pro.
Now, I have put an ad for my iMac and looking for the offers. Actually, I don't need to upgrade this iMac now until the new 10nm intel chips and Navi GPUs come out and probably with a redesign. However, I'm going to marry soon and probably will live in another country. So, carrying a 27" iMac on a plane is a hassle.

Briefly, I can sell this here and get another one later and my question is this;

Would you get a used iMac Pro base model (at around 3500€) or a new 2019 iMac i9/vega48/512gb ssd/8gb ram (to be upgraded to 40 later) (still around 3500€ with student discount) ?

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Hello Mac lovers of the forum,

I have the systems you see in my signature. Just sold my 13" mbp after realizing that with the new iPadOS, I can handle the tasks I do on the go with an iPad Pro.
Now, I have put an ad for my iMac and looking for the offers. Actually, I don't need to upgrade this iMac now until the new 10nm intel chips and Navi GPUs come out and probably with a redesign. However, I'm going to marry soon and probably will live in another country. So, carrying a 27" iMac on a plane is a hassle.

Briefly, I can sell this here and get another one later and my question is this;

Would you get a used iMac Pro base model (at around 3500€) or a new 2019 iMac i9/vega48/512gb ssd/8gb ram (to be upgraded to 40 later) (still around 3500€ with student discount) ?

Depends what you use it for.
I push the CPU and enjoy the relative peace and quiet of the imac pro. My previous imac [older model maxed 2017] was super loud on similar tasks. I have no complaints on the pro model for what it is - it handles every task I throw at it although I can stress it easily too :)

Reactions: robgendreau

whosthis

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
For me it was the i9. For my workflow it will probabably feel "snappier". If I'd do lots of video encoding, things would be different (and I wanted to max out on RAM which is inconvenient on the iMP).

Also, a new one gives you full warranty again - for an AIO (especially with the screen) this is a good thing.

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
You’re right, forgot to mention my use case. I generally use my current iMac for video editing. Actually, I capture my gameplay (yes I play on macOS) with ScreenFlow, then export it as ProRes and then edit it in iMovie then export it to be uploaded to YouTube.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
You’re right, forgot to mention my use case. I generally use my current iMac for video editing. Actually, I capture my gameplay (yes I play on macOS) with ScreenFlow, then export it as ProRes and then edit it in iMovie then export it to be uploaded to YouTube.
iMovie seems to take advantage of hardware video encode acceleration, so it comes down whether T2 in iMacPro is faster at it than Intel Quick Sync in i9.
This only holds true until you start to encode 10-bit HEVC, then both fall short, as Apple does not support this encode in its current VideoToolbox. So here the more powerful CPU wins.

whosthis

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Well, at least it won't be slower than your current iMac. So if this works fine you...

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Video production is one of the strengths of the iMac Pro. Regular still photography, not so much. And gaming would probably be helped by the video cards, although I confess I haven't checked on that. But look at some reviews by users who use the applications you do in order to verify you'd get benefit from it, especially at the lower end of its specs.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
How is this question different from the hundreds of others?

You quote statistics bla, bla, bla... but never mention what You want to use it for.

The correct answer: It depends how you are going to use it.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I generally use my current iMac for video editing
You want the iMac Pro. The base model has a more robust GPU than any i9. You'll appreciate the better cooling during file rendering.

Video likes better GPU. Plugins like more RAM but most can get by with 32GB.

Apple has lowered the prices on BTO (build to order) options in the last 10 days although the base models remain the same. Used iMPs might be a bit overpriced now—too bad for those who bought before but good for you. Make certain you know the current pricing.

I've no idea what is available Refurbished but in the States, it's better than student pricing.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Just scored an iMac (2019), 8-Core, Vega 48, 1TB ssd from Apple’s refurb site for $2950ish, down from $3450ish.

My $0.02 is go with the regular iMac, refurbished.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Are you in Italy like the OP?

No, but it’s a safe assumption that Apple will sell their refurbished macs cheaper. In my opinion it’s worth checking out the site for options, at the very least, to be better informed before making (significant) purchasing decisions.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
No, but it’s a safe assumption that Apple will sell their refurbished macs cheaper. In my opinion it’s worth checking out the site for options, at the very least, to be better informed before making (significant) purchasing decisions.
Ahhh safe for you to assume, I suppose.

There are no 2019 iMacs nor any iMac Pros in the Italian Refurb Store.
https://www.apple.com/it/shop/refurbished/mac/imac

The OP does video editing and is specifically interested in those two models.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
I own the same 2017 i5 3.8GHz with 1TB SSD and 580. I do pro audio and light video (imovie to youtube) mostly music videos. I scored the i9 1TB SSD 580X a week ago and guess what - I am sending it back! My i5 can go 100% CPU load in Logic at sustained 4.1GHz and never raise the fan above 1200 rpm (75degC). The i9 gets to 20% load 90degC (speed all over the place but mostly less than 4GHz) and starts ramping fans. My i5 takes a 4:20 imovie and encodes a 1080p file in 5:10 with just 1800 rpm fan near the end - the i9 - exactly the same time with considerably louder and quick onset fan noise. What the i9 can do is run way more plugins in Logic (~4X). But it hits fans at a load my i5 can to without ramping fans. If I were doing heavier sessions and needed the extra grunt - I would keep it. But with out too much work I can keep my sessions fitting in the i5 without freezing anything and always have 1200 rpm fans.

The i9 is a great machine and can do some video tasks much faster than my i5 (so Ive read) - but not the one that i do :)... Think hard before offing that i5 3.8. Would love to compare mine to the 3.7 iMac 6-core.

PS - the Vega option in the 2019 iMac is probably a good one but... thats $3K + $300 tax in my state + AppleCare + $150 for 32G more RAM. - $3600+. A used iMac Pro would be way more appealing to me!

Last edited:

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
iMovie seems to take advantage of hardware video encode acceleration, so it comes down whether T2 in iMacPro is faster at it than Intel Quick Sync in i9.
This only holds true until you start to encode 10-bit HEVC, then both fall short, as Apple does not support this encode in its current VideoToolbox. So here the more powerful CPU wins.
I believe in this case the most powerful GPU wins.

Reactions: propower

ondert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
Canada
How is this question different from the hundreds of others?

You quote statistics bla, bla, bla... but never mention what You want to use it for.

The correct answer: It depends how you are going to use it.

I wrote down my use case later in the thread. Generally, it was a new maxed-out imac vs a new imac Pro base model comparison. For that, I wrote “a bit different”.

Well.. Actually, even I get the Pro from refurbished store it will still cost more than 4500€ I guess. (EU prices are quite high comparing the US prices. Brand new costs 5600€ here.) So, I see used ones starts at about 3500€ on eBay etc.

Are you sure about this? Today I went to the nearby Apple Store to ask if Quick Sync make difference in iMovie,but didn’t get a certain enough answer. To me, the Pro makes more sense with higher capacity of ssd, superior gpu, audio system, cooling etc. Also, I believe T2 might be better in the long run.

Last edited:

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I believe in this case the most powerful GPU wins.
I missed the part where you said you are going to use iMovie. I don't know about that, I assumed you were going to use FCPX. You now because you are going to spend 5000 euros on a machine and all.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Are you sure about this? Today I went to the nearby Apple Store to ask if Quick Sync make difference in iMovie,but didn’t get a certain enough answer. To me, the Pro makes more sense with higher capacity of ssd, superior gpu, audio system, cooling etc. Also, I believe T2 might be better in the long run.
Yes, pretty sure.
At least I see Intel HD Graphics CFL to wake up on my i9:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...oding-than-2017-i5-3-8.2189994/#post-27543971

I did not see the benefit in iMP, at least not the double benefit, considering the double cost.
And for me, the lack of Quick Sync support in the Xeon was another shortcoming.
As I said, it only matters if you try to encode HDR10 material in 10-bit HEVC.
The i9 has necessary hardware support, Xeon doesn't. Whether T2 does, I've got no idea.
At this moment in time, it is Apple's software support (Video Toolbox) that lacks support, so no HandBrake, FCPX or Compressor can take advantage of it. 10-bit encode, I mean. With 8 bits its all dandy.
To me, it sounds more realistic to hope for software update rather than hardware update.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.