Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Sure, okay, sorry. On instructions from tsialex, who has been wonderfully patient and helpful, via email, I got a new flash drive (the one I'd been working with was bad), and turned it into an El Capitan boot drive. One of his instructions included: "Do a BootROM dump using ROMTool, attached here. You need SIP disabled and no AV/anti-malware running. ROMTool is usually a false-positive to every AV/anti-malware because flashrom and DirectHWAcess.kext." So I disabled SIP, tried to run the RomTool, it asked for a password which I assumed I didn't have after trying the administrator password, and thought running the 2009-2010 firmware update, since I'd finally been able to disable SIP, would work.

This is exactly what tsialex was trying to prevent. He wanted me to send him the results of the BootRom dump so he could help me. So, after running the firmware update, shutting down the Mac Pro and starting it by pressing the power button until it flashed and beeped, my display showed a different apple-and-status bar than I'd seen before (thicker, and sort of white with darker edges), and then turned off.

I expected, finally, to start it and be able to see the 5,1 in the "about this Mac" screen, but it just wouldn't boot as the ROM chip on the backplane no longer works due to my ineptitude. Doesn't matter if I have the hard drives out and try to boot from the flash drive, the ROM chip in the backplane has the wrong information on it and that's a hardware issue--as I understand it. After explaining what happened, and asking for clarity, as I know very little, he wrote:

"The backplane can boot from an external SPI flash connected to the LITTLE FRANK connector.

ROMTool zip package password is just to decompress the package, don't flash anything. ROMTool process at this time is just to read the BootROM. You probably did something before, like Netkas procedure [Yup].

SMC is the System Management Controller. 2009 CPU trays and backplanes have SMC 1.139f5 version, 2010/2012 boards have 1.39f11, you can't mix 2009 with 2010/2012 boards. SMC with different versions don't work and the fans go full RPM.

You should create a thread asking if someone local to you can help you repair your board.".

Instead of creating that thread, I decided to post on this one.

Is that the detail you were looking for? I'm guessing I need either an external SPI flash, another backplane, or another 2009 4,1 ROM chip and find someone that can desolder the ROM chip I hosed, and solder the new one on? Again, sorry, I'm justifiably annoying at how little I understand, so I imagine if I haven't yet offered enough/the right kind of detail, I'm not easy to help.

Thanks,

--Gil

P.S.: I want to again mention how patient and helpful tsialex has been with me. He continued to email me instructions and offer help well after the "this guy is annoyingly ignorant/unprepared" point.
The Netkas way to upgrade firmware worked fine back in the day, but today a lot of things changed and now it's a very risky and convoluted process. Even a successful one overwrites the BootBlock, making impossible to run Firmware Restoration CD, for example.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to do it today.

This guy has 2 backplane boards at a reasonable price.

Have a look, and ask @tsialex to confirm this would work for you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Pro-4-...h=item4b5e8a6c02:g:6pEAAOSwSL5ccrST:rk:5:pf:0
It's the correct backplane for a 2009 Mac Pro. Really good price, btw.

GilBavel

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2018
Lawrence, Kansas
The Netkas way to upgrade firmware worked fine back in the day, but today a lot of things changed and now it's a very risky and convoluted process. Even a successful one overwrites the BootBlock, making impossible to run Firmware Restoration CD, for example.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to do it today.

It's the correct backplane for a 2009 Mac Pro. Really good price, btw.

Okay! I followed the instructions and after holding the power button down for the 3 LED lights, it booted! I also see that the hardware identifier says mac pro 5,1!
I don't know if I am still in safe mode or what have you. What should I do now? re-enable system integrity protection? Run the restoration CD?

Exciting!

Reactions: h9826790

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Okay! I followed the instructions and after holding the power button down for the 3 LED lights, it booted! I also see that the hardware identifier says mac pro 5,1!
I don't know if I am still in safe mode or what have you. What should I do now? re-enable system integrity protection? Run the restoration CD?

Exciting!
Just shutdown then do a clear NVRAM, it will remove the SIP setting from the NVRAM.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Okay... I had trouble getting online and setting my display up, but those seem to be worked out now.
So, do you still want the RomTool dump?
No, it's useless now, you already did the upgrade and can't be reverted.

GilBavel

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2018
Lawrence, Kansas
Okay! Back on my Mac Pro, which now says 5,1! I've dealt with some problems getting online and with my display, but it looks like I'm no longer in need of a new backplane. Thanks everybody and... never mind. :)

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010

I hope this isn't threadjacking, but what's changed that makes this so risky?
Also, are you saying the Netkas metod makes it impossible to use a Firmware Restoration CD or is it something else?
As everyone has said, tsialex is amazing and we all owe him. Thanks!

GilBavel

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2018
Lawrence, Kansas
All I can say is that when I pressed in the power button so it would blink 3 times, and removed my finger after 20 seconds, it booted--and it said 5,1! I never even _applied_ the EFI Restoration CD. I thought my beloved Mac Pro was forever toast.
I can't say anything else in answer to your questions as I know so little that tsialex walked me through what I was _supposed_ to do, and I bumbled my way into not only NOT bricking my MP, but updating it! :)
Now, though, I can't figure out why the App Store won't upgrade the OS, to Sierra from El Capitan.
Any ideas? Is there something else I'm supposed to do? Is it too late for me to update the OS?
Thanks one and all, and you may jack my thread anytime you like!

--Gil

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
All I can say is that when I pressed in the power button so it would blink 3 times, and removed my finger after 20 seconds, it booted--and it said 5,1! I never even _applied_ the EFI Restoration CD. I thought my beloved Mac Pro was forever toast.
I can't say anything else in answer to your questions as I know so little that tsialex walked me through what I was _supposed_ to do, and I bumbled my way into not only NOT bricking my MP, but updating it! :)
Now, though, I can't figure out why the App Store won't upgrade the OS, to Sierra from El Capitan.
Any ideas? Is there something else I'm supposed to do? Is it too late for me to update the OS?
Thanks one and all, and you may jack my thread anytime you like!

--Gil

It's good to hear that your Mac Pro is back. And my own suggestion is do NOT attempt to run that firmware restoration CD. You don't need that now. And it may cause trouble more than benefit.

For OS update, Appstore only "update" El Capitan to El Capitan (e.g. from 10.11.4 to 10.11.6). It won't "upgrade" the OS from El Capitan to Sierra (e.g. from 10.11.6 to 10.12.6). To upgrade the the OS, you need to download the OS FULL installer and run it like open an apps inside macOS. And since Apple already remove Sierra and High Sierra from the AppStore, it can be a bit hard for you to get the Sierra full installer.

Even though it seems like a nightmare for you, but you should still need to perform more firmware update before you can move to High Sierra, or Mojave (the current macOS that you can easily download the full installer on Appstore).

Once you finish this firmware update, you can install Mojave (with a supported graphic card).

GilBavel

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2018
Lawrence, Kansas
Okay. I have a Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 PCIe graphics card ready to go in.
I also remembered having downloaded some Sierra files, please see photos-and advise me what to do next, specifically what firmware I need to go to next? Thanks!
Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 1.40.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-25 at 1.40.01 AM.png

[doublepost=1551081039][/doublepost](I'm already at 10.11.6, and it DID update the security patch after I tried the App Store.)
[doublepost=1551081106][/doublepost]
Thanks, link works, downloading now.
[doublepost=1551082801][/doublepost]Sierra has downloaded. Anything else to do before I run it?

Reactions: h9826790

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I hope this isn't threadjacking, but what's changed that makes this so risky?
First, we have to workaround that Netkas app can't download the necessary files anymore and we have SIP to further complicate things.

Second, we have 7 firmware updates to do to get to a current BootROM, with at least an upgrade to MP51.0089.B00 then another one to 140.0.0.0.0. Both upgrades have different pre-requisites, Mac EFI versus METAL support.

Btw, 10.14.4 final will have 141.0.0.0.0 or greater, so some time next month we will have another firmware upgrade to do.

Some MP4,1 are bricking when doing the firmware upgrades, we have various cases here, seems related the differences between the 1st/2nd streams of the MP4,1 NVRAM and a real MP5,1.

Reconstruction workaround all these problems, you can go from MP41.0081.Bxx to 141.0.0.0.0 with just one step, but it's for advanced users only.

Also, are you saying the Netkas metod makes it impossible to use a Firmware Restoration CD or is it something else?
Yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: crjackson2134

sneapple

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
US
Quintessential thread revival by a first time poster. Long story short, I'm stuck at 4,1.

System Information:
  • Mac Pro 2009 (4,1)
  • 2 Quad-Core Xeon 2.93
  • Memory 16gb 1066 (8 sticks)
  • Boot ROM MP41.0081.B07
  • SMC 1.39f5
  • Mac GT120 (Sapphire RX580 ordered)
Firmware Process:
  1. Main process - https://thehouseofmoth.com/turning-a-2009-41-mac-pro-into-a-2010-2012-51-mac-pro-2021-edition/
    1. Tried patch utility from - https://github.com/pigsyn/MacProFirmwareToolUpdate/releases/latest (Validated download links)
    2. Fresh firmware from Apple - https://support.apple.com/en-us/106455 (as well as houseofmoth links)
  2. Ethernet connected
  3. SIP disabled and confirmed with 'csrutil status' prior to flashing
  4. Mounted .dmg
  5. Upgrade utility shows successful prior to shutdown
  6. Hold power button step, LED flashing & tone no disk eject!
Troubleshooting:
  • Reset NVRAM & SMC (tried once, and three times in a row, re-disabled SIP after NVRAM reset)
  • Only mouse, keyboard, screen, connected
  • Yosemite & El Captain attempted
  • Wired and wireless attempts
  • Rebuilt OS twice (different drives SSD & traditional, attempted different boot slots)

What haven't I tried? Did I miss something?

sneapple

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
US
Quintessential thread revival by a first time poster. Long story short, I'm stuck at 4,1.

System Information:
  • Mac Pro 2009 (4,1)
  • 2 Quad-Core Xeon 2.93
  • Memory 16gb 1066 (8 sticks)
  • Boot ROM MP41.0081.B07
  • SMC 1.39f5
  • Mac GT120 (Sapphire RX580 ordered)
Firmware Process:
  1. Main process - https://thehouseofmoth.com/turning-a-2009-41-mac-pro-into-a-2010-2012-51-mac-pro-2021-edition/
    1. Tried patch utility from - https://github.com/pigsyn/MacProFirmwareToolUpdate/releases/latest (Validated download links)
    2. Fresh firmware from Apple - https://support.apple.com/en-us/106455 (as well as houseofmoth links)
  2. Ethernet connected
  3. SIP disabled and confirmed with 'csrutil status' prior to flashing
  4. Mounted .dmg
  5. Upgrade utility shows successful prior to shutdown
  6. Hold power button step, LED flashing & tone no disk eject!
Troubleshooting:
  • Reset NVRAM & SMC (tried once, and three times in a row, re-disabled SIP after NVRAM reset)
  • Only mouse, keyboard, screen, connected
  • Yosemite & El Captain attempted
  • Wired and wireless attempts
  • Rebuilt OS twice (different drives SSD & traditional, attempted different boot slots)

What haven't I tried? Did I miss something?
I'm in good shape now, thanks to an anonymous wizard! If anyone else runs into this issue, most likely you'll need some manual BootROM fixin'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.