Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2021
Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 10.55.51 PM.png

Are we sure that Google Chrome is causing FCPX memory leak issue? I cant use FCPX as I only used 3 small clips on FCPX! It's been more than 2 years and so far, I got no solutions. I already spoke with Apple Technician but also have no idea what causing this issue. Some say Google Chrome itself is causing the problem but no clues.

Any idea?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The easy way to tell would be to stop using Chrome for a while and see whether the issue recurs.

lin2log

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
Er, yeah. Simply quit Chrome if you suspect some correlation?? 🙄

Never mind that I'd never use anything with "Google" on it to begin with. Chrome for one is garbage and is known to lock down the VideoToolBox framework and make FCPX really slow and crash it, yes!

So basically just classic Google! 👎🏼

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
How about just quitting Chrome while using FCP?
You're not alone but I don't get the need to have loads of programs running at once sucking your computer's resources. It's just sloppy.
Just shut down apps you don't need to be open while undertaking tasks that don't require them.

Reactions: lin2log

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Chrome has a memory leak feature, most noticeable on lower performance machines. It is also a resource hog. My Asus desktop just dies within 10 minutes of opening chrome.

Jan_Onderwater

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2022

Memory Leaks in FCPX​

I Had these problems a lot with "memory leaks" in FCPX
For no apparent reason it started to use more an more memory

Then I discovered the following: If you have a AVCHD file on the highest level of an HD or SSD, FCPX sees the disk as a camera (card) and starts working on the whole disk as if it was a camera memory card, which fills up all the memory until it crashes. When you put the AVCHD file in a folder on the disc, this does not happen.
I had this issue for a long time, hope this helps others.

I have not experimented with other video container files like AVCHD, but pretty sure this is the same with them. It is not an Chrome issue, nor background rendering

Reactions: e1me5 and ColdCase

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2021
Hello all,

I'm reporting same issues again and this time, I checked with ProRes files on external and internal storage and yet it keep goes beyond 64GB of RAM. I did NOT use Chrome at all and it was not even being used.

Something isn't right here.

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
Hello all,

I'm reporting same issues again and this time, I checked with ProRes files on external and internal storage and yet it keep goes beyond 64GB of RAM. I did NOT use Chrome at all and it was not even being used.

Something isn't right here.
Hardware specs? I've had the same issues importing a lot of footage on a Mac mini m1 with 16gb of ram but on my Studio M1 Max had no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.