Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
12'inch powerbook or a 12'ibook?
I currently have a crappy Compaq Presario 2100 laptop, I usually write word docs. fix up my photos on Photoshop and surf the web. My current laptop cant even OPEN photoshop without having some sort of computer aneurysm and while I play sims2 (which is pretty rare) it just dies out on me (but sims2 isnt that important to me). And my laptop is exactly 2 years old, and the battery wont last an hour,it almost burnt my desk (it gets so hot I have to turn it off every 3 hours to let it cool down), and it doesnt recongize my ipod so I have to go over to my parents computer which is another crappy wintel computer but it works better with my ipod.
ANYWAYS on to my point....
So what do you guys think?
I really would want an ibook but the 12' inch doesnt have a super drive....but is a superdrive really that important? I really dont know if I am going to burn dvds because I never had the chance to on my current computer and I dont have the need too. And I wish the 12inch powerbook for the cost had a backlight keyboard!
And the intel macs are going to come soon right...or is that some sort of false rumor going around? I could wait because I think my current computer has another good year to it. But its a huge annoynce. And I travel alot and this puppy is no supermodel!
Oh and how long do you guys think a ibook or a powerbook lasts? I would like to have one that could last me a good 4 years.

alexhazle

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2005
Mad-Town
There is a $500 price difference between the two twelve inch laptops. The differences in HD, graphics card, and slower processor (wont be noticable) definitely are not worth the $500 price difference.
That extra $500 dollars could net you an external HD, a warranty to make sure your laptop lasts you as long as you need it, and extra ram (not from Apple).

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Get the PB if you plan to hook an external display. Otherwise, definitely get the iBook. It's a great computer at a great price.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
jakochampolska said:
Oh and how long do you guys think a ibook or a powerbook lasts? I would like to have one that could last me a good 4 years.

I'll let you know when my PB dies/stops working effectively. It's already 2 years old and has never let me down. As far as iBook or PB, I say go powerbook, I think it's worth the money for the extra power and the superdrive. Besides, they look way cooler! People always think I have a new 'book and its 2 years old!

**edit**
Just so you know, I think you would be happy with either one.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
jakochampolska said:
12'inch powerbook or a 12'ibook?
I currently have a crappy Compaq Presario 2100 laptop, I usually write word docs. fix up my photos on Photoshop and surf the web. My current laptop cant even OPEN photoshop without having some sort of computer aneurysm and while I play sims2 (which is pretty rare) it just dies out on me (but sims2 isnt that important to me). And my laptop is exactly 2 years old, and the battery wont last an hour,it almost burnt my desk (it gets so hot I have to turn it off every 3 hours to let it cool down), and it doesnt recongize my ipod so I have to go over to my parents computer which is another crappy wintel computer but it works better with my ipod.
ANYWAYS on to my point....
So what do you guys think?
I really would want an ibook but the 12' inch doesnt have a super drive....but is a superdrive really that important? I really dont know if I am going to burn dvds because I never had the chance to on my current computer and I dont have the need too. And I wish the 12inch powerbook for the cost had a backlight keyboard!
And the intel macs are going to come soon right...or is that some sort of false rumor going around? I could wait because I think my current computer has another good year to it. But its a huge annoynce. And I travel alot and this puppy is no supermodel!

Hello! I know you probably wouldn't want me to say anything, but about the Compaq laptop. It's not crappy. You definetly need more RAM. It might say it has 256MB, but in reality it probably only has 192MB or 224MB. The graphics adapter your Compaq has (ATI Radeon IGP 340M) shares graphics memory from regular RAM which is probably why Photoshop has such a hard time working. How do I know all this? I have a similar HP Pavilion ze4427wm with a AMD Athlon XP-M processsor instead of the Celeron, and it to needs more RAM. It seems to take forever to open anything, but I plan on upgrading the Memory later on in the year. Anyway, just wanted to say for best performance on the laptop you will wan to upgrade RAM.

BTW, both of our laptops have USB 1.1 so you don't even want to plug your Mini into the Compaq. I plugged mine in to transfer 2.5GB of music and it took 1hr and 10min! It took like 10min on my eMac using Firewire.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I just ordered a new iBook G4 last night due to good luck with my present G3 and the success friends and relatives have had with G4s.

RAM is of course cheaper from crucial.com if you want to self-install or know someone who does that kind of stuff. This is most logical if you want 1.5GB, where Apple charges a very high premium; on the other hand, the difference shrinks with the size and I decided I'd just have my upgrade to 1GB done for me at the factory. My hand coordination isn't very good and I was plenty nervous when I installed my AirPort card.

lfielder06

Dec 5, 2004
I would not worry too much about getting a superdrive. The "8x" speed is accually more like 2-3x tops. I can't even get 8x as an option when burning 8x media. I have an external that I use for dvds. I would recomend save the money and get an external or get MCE to install one of their 8x drives. I was not very impressed with apple's 8x speed.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
The iBooks are such great machines, I really love my iBook and it's just a great laptop. I highly recommend it, unless you really want to get the "look" of the Powerbook or you feel that the extra features are worth the extra cash, get the iBook, you'll love it.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
go with the 12" powerbook, its smaller, and looks nicer. i just sold a 12'' ibook, and the 12'' pb is smaller...loook

Attachments

• 0828200511111111111.jpg
    0828200511111111111.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 182

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I have a 12" PB (the most recent model); it is certainly a nice machine and I am 100% satisfied with its performace and portability. Howerver, it is so nice that I don't want to take it with me always, since my other PBs (Al 15" and Ti 15") are a little too large for on-road or on-travel usage. I bought it so that I can take it with me when I go to work (I often stay at work after hours because of the traffice; better to work in the office than stuck in the traffic doing nothing). Now I am thinking about getting a 12" iBook for this purpose because it is more durable and take some beating (ie. this is a figure of speech; I will be careful for any equipment I pay) with aplomb compared to the nice shiny Aluminum case (PB).

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
and btw, no thie intel switch is not a rumor (just look at some threads around these forums), but when the actual machines are going to come out is anyone's guess (that is, within a year from now). But you may be waiting a while.

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
For what you are doing, I couldn't recommend the iBook more. I have just bought one and had been going through the same dilemma not a month ago. Unless you need screen spanning, or just really prefer the slightly smaller enclosure, you will seldom if at all beable to see any differences in performace. On occasion I find myself adoring the aluminum and slightly smaller 12 Pb, but time after time, I cant justify paying 500 dollars more. Im in college so durability, battery life, small size, and great wifi reception is a must. The ibook is much more dent resistant, gets at least an hour extra in battery life, and has better wifi reception. Carrying around the laptop around in my backpack, would I have been able to feel the difference between the slightly smaller pb from my ibook? Is .3 pounds noticeable? Would I have the same piece of mind as my iBook? I am in love with apple's small laptops, but currently you cant beat the ibook's performance to dollar ratio IMHO. In a few year's when the 12"pb starts getting the major perfromance boosts it deserves (and maybe a friggin back lit keyboard, FINALLY) then I will have to break down and purchase. But right now I couldnt be more pleased with my durable beautiful ibook, 1 gig RAM, 80 gig HD, and still an extra 400 smackaroos in my pocket. I wanted the 12pb so badly, I just cant wait for apple to finally convince me that its worth it.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
AJ Muni said:
go with the 12" powerbook, its smaller, and looks nicer. i just sold a 12'' ibook, and the 12'' pb is smaller...loook

Oh man thanks!! I never could look at them side by side like that! The ibook does look a tad bit bigger than the powerbook. But I think the powerbook is sexier hahaha if you know what I mean.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
TaKashMoney said:
On occasion I find myself adoring the aluminum and slightly smaller 12 Pb, but time after time, I cant justify paying 500 dollars more. Im in college so durability, battery life, small size, and great wifi reception is a must. The ibook is much more dent resistant, gets at least an hour extra in battery life, and has better wifi reception.
I've said this in countless other 12" iBook vs 12" PB threads... but I totally endorse the above statements! I own both 'books, both running 1.33GHz processors and I have since fallen completely in love w/ my iBook. Yes the PB is sleeker, slightly more compact; but it does run much hotter (literally to the touch), and as TaKashMoney said, doesn't have anywhere near the same wi-fi reception and battery life.

For your uses, I would definitely recommend the iBook.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
12" iBook vs 12" PB - do they have the same resolutions?

I want something portable but also that can connect to an external screen (20" or 23").

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Euan said:
12" iBook vs 12" PB - do they have the same resolutions?

I want something portable but also that can connect to an external screen (20" or 23").

Yes, same resolution. But the iBook can only display that same resolution on the external screen, whereas the powerbook supports larger external screens. Plus, the powerbook supports spanning (displaying different stuff on the external and internal screens). You can do that on the iBook, but it requires a hack.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
wordmunger said:
Yes, same resolution. But the iBook can only display that same resolution on the external screen, whereas the powerbook supports larger external screens. Plus, the powerbook supports spanning (displaying different stuff on the external and internal screens). You can do that on the iBook, but it requires a hack.
Thanks for that wordmunger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.