Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michelle21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Came across this, before the iphone this was impossible on a mobile device,

http://www.heartit.com/

The physician's endorsing the technology state in the article that before the iphone you could only do this on proprietary portable devices costing thousands more, or have to lug around a laptop with a decent display.

The resolution on other portable devices was just to low.

In my opinion I don't think we are even close to exploiting the potential of this device and it will only get better if apple releases some kind of sdk, or at least persitant caching.(you can do that now but its very limited)

Personally my interest hasn't waned at all, I'm finishing my upnp client application for the iphone, which will pay media from any dlna complient servers.

But I'm already thinking of ways to improve on it.

We have old replaytv's and 2 tivos, and I'm thinking it would be cool to look at content from them them on the Iphone. (over wifi) I can easily bring up contents directories and show now-playing lists but I'm thinking it might be possible to hack a way to actually play the movies, there in mpeg, by doing on the fly transcoding. There is at least one server that does this, tversity, and at least conceptually I have an idea how it might be done. traditionally the problem with on the fly transcoding is lag time, but using the byte range request capabilities in the version of quicktime thats on the phone it might be possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.