Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raleigh1208

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Raleigh, NC
It looks like another Tuesday has come and gone without an upgrade to the MBP. With all the iPod, iTunes, and iTV news today, I was hoping Steve would have one more "one last thing" but alas it looks like we'll have to wait to next Tuesday.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
One thing I have experienced with a year on this forum is how unbelievable hyped everything gets. At WWDC every single product line was predicted to get an upgrade, what did get one? Mac Pro. We all knew that. And now we somehow again hypes this thing to be the upgraded macBooks, MBP, iPhone etc etc, and what do we get? iPods, lots and lots of iPods. We all knew that.

For some reason I can't help but feel that Apple is actually making a good choice not to upgrade their notebooks, since the performance gain will be so miniscule when not using napa64 platforms.
Seen from an economic perspective, it would be stupid to upgrade constantly, design og hardware wise, as the stores still struggle to get their Powerbooks and Powermacs sold.

What am I saying? Simply that in our hearts we all knew what would happen, but we kept dreaming and hoping. Or some other crock of sh**. Anyways, I could be wrong and we'll get merom notebooks tomorrow with a silent upgrade. I dunno.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Jiddick ExRex said:
For some reason I can't help but feel that Apple is actually making a good choice not to upgrade their notebooks, since the performance gain will be so miniscule when not using napa64 platforms.

I might agree with you on this if Apple hadn't updated the iMacs with Core 2 Duo. I'm guessing, and hoping at this point, we'll still see C2D MBP's before the end of this month.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
HecubusPro said:
I might agree with you on this if Apple hadn't updated the iMacs with Core 2 Duo. I'm guessing, and hoping at this point, we'll still see C2D MBP's before the end of this month.

But the Key Difference here is that the iMac is not a Pro computer. I wouldnt expect them to short cut on pro systems. In fact Apple waiting for Napa to release Merom imo is the best choice of action for the MBP. Cut corners and follows the Dells, HPs, and Sonys on the consumer lines but id rather see a complete solution on the pro lines.

Ed

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Ed H said:
But the Key Difference here is that the iMac is not a Pro computer. I wouldnt expect them to short cut on pro systems. In fact Apple waiting for Napa to release Merom imo is the best choice of action for the MBP. Cut corners and follows the Dells, HPs, and Sonys on the consumer lines but id rather see a complete solution on the pro lines.

Stop being an apologist, we are talking about a company that waited 6 months to launch the MBP just so they can get a 1mm thinner dual layer drive... oh wait, that didn't add up...

Guess what? Apple will cut corners like Dell et el all the same just to drive sales for their holiday season. They don't care about the "pros", they care about the moolah.

I can't believe you can still go around foisting such BS, so when are they gonna wait till? To Santa Rosa? Why not wait till the 45nm chips ship next Christmas so we can have cooler MBPs? While we are at it why not wait till '11 to revamp the line when Intel discontinues x86? This is starting to get on my nerves already.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Am3822 said:
Given all the various problems the MBP's had been plagued with, an update would've been welcomed. Oh well.

I agree and that is why I am really waiting for the new revision. I just hope Apple addresses some of the issues with the next update.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
generik said:
Stop being an apologist, we are talking about a company that waited 6 months to launch the MBP just so they can get a 1mm thinner dual layer drive... oh wait, that didn't add up...

Guess what? Apple will cut corners like Dell et el all the same just to drive sales for their holiday season. They don't care about the "pros", they care about the moolah.

I can't believe you can still go around foisting such BS, so when are they gonna wait till? To Santa Rosa? Why not wait till the 45nm chips ship next Christmas so we can have cooler MBPs? While we are at it why not wait till '11 to revamp the line when Intel discontinues x86? This is starting to get on my nerves already.

I'll wade in again with a big DITTO !!! Over 8 months since the MBP was announced and no Rev B yet - pathetic speed bump is all we have seen.

Outdated processor - medicore gpu - does not even have the magnetic closure or fast swap hard drive feature set of the Macbook for God's sake. Other Apple computers selling for only $999 are shipping using the C2D - a modest featured 17" MBP goes for over $3,000 but still has the old Yonah.

Most unimpressive for the professional market.

Oh - and one more thing while I am at it. By the time Apple finally announces something on the MBP line it will cause more of a "about time" reaction than anything else. Will I buy one then - probably :eek:

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I don't see Apple's decision to hold off on updates for their laptops will help their holiday sales figures much contrary to what Ed said. By that rationale why then did Apple bump their iMacs? The iMacs are still mighty fast! Sales figures stupid!

They wait till MWSF to release they can effectively kiss their laptop sales from now to Santa Rosa good bye.

I am not kidding.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
generik said:
I don't see Apple's decision to hold off on updates for their laptops will help their holiday sales figures much contrary to what Ed said. By that rationale why then did Apple bump their iMacs? The iMacs are still mighty fast! Sales figures stupid!

They wait till MWSF to release they can effectively kiss their laptop sales from now to Santa Rosa good bye.

I am not kidding.

iMacs are aimed toward the consumer market, the MBP isnt. MWSF would be the logical time to release a new MBP, with SR of course. Christmas is a consumer buying frenzy, whereas most businesses are not buying, they are preparing to purchase when their budgets turn at Q1 or whenever year end is.

I think you are mixing two seperate and distinctly different markets. Upgrading iMacs for the holidays makes perfect sense, its a consumer aimed product.

Two ways of thinking about it i guess, but i wont be as insulting as you have been :)

Ed

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
generik said:

Agreed. No matter how you look at it, Apple's just behind. Apologists can talk all they want about timing the market or creating a complete solution for pros, but they'll just have to eventually face that Apple's "pro" laptop line isn't the sharpest tool in the shed anymore. I have a good computer right now, and it's an inconvenience for me to not have an intel mac - but there's no way in hell that Apple is going to make me shell out $2500 for a "top-of-the-line" laptop with Core Duo when it's butt-obvious that C2D is out there, available, and shippable.

Besides, the MBP's market isn't just pros. With bootcamp, I'd like to run some games on my laptop, and integrated graphics don't cut it for me. I wouldn't call myself a prosumer because all the comptuer power is going towards killing german infantrymen, underground lab experiments gone wrong, etc. but I do need a powerful computer.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Ed H said:
iMacs are aimed toward the consumer market, the MBP isnt. MWSF would be the logical time to release a new MBP, with SR of course. Christmas is a consumer buying frenzy, whereas most businesses are not buying, they are preparing to purchase when their budgets turn at Q1 or whenever year end is.

I think you are mixing two seperate and distinctly different markets. Upgrading iMacs for the holidays makes perfect sense, its a consumer aimed product.

Two ways of thinking about it i guess, but i wont be as insulting as you have been :)

Ed

It really depends on the argument, one may also argue that the iMacs are targetted towards less tech savvy customers who would not even factor the Core/Core 2 Duo part of the product specifications and make their purchasing decision based on that.

Likewise if your rationale holds water where is the C2D Macbook?

Lastly SR is not going to make it in time for MWSF, unless of course April is the new January... Intel has long announced that shipping estimates for SR has been pushed from a more optimistic Q1 '07 to H1 '07 now. Miracles may happen of course....

DSchwartz88

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2006
oh for ***ks sake. Anyone who beleives the MBP is geared towards to "pro" market are idiots. Yes the MBP's are pro models, but every kid and his uncle wants one. Pro's will buy MBP's no doubt, but i would wager alot to say most of the sales of the pro laptop model are for people who just plain like the design, the features, and the quickness, not to mention the screen size. Most people like me want the latest and greatest in laptops and for my wants/needs the macbook doesnt cut it. The screen is to small, the graphics are crap, i dont like the colors, and i like my light up keyboard, Hell i would buy a MBP just for the light up keyboard. So please hush down about the MBP being a pro only model, its for everyone, its what competes with any other companies 15in laptop.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
DSchwartz88 said:
oh for ***ks sake. Anyone who beleives the MBP is geared towards to "pro" market are idiots. Yes the MBP's are pro models, but every kid and his uncle wants one. Pro's will buy MBP's no doubt, but i would wager alot to say most of the sales of the pro laptop model are for people who just plain like the design, the features, and the quickness, not to mention the screen size. Most people like me want the latest and greatest in laptops and for my wants/needs the macbook doesnt cut it. The screen is to small, the graphics are crap, i dont like the colors, and i like my light up keyboard, Hell i would buy a MBP just for the light up keyboard. So please hush down about the MBP being a pro only model, its for everyone, its what competes with any other companies 15in laptop.

I believe they try to market the MBP towards the more "pro" market but I have to agree a lot of "non pros" (ie like me) are drawn towards it because of the features mentioned above. It is one mighty sweet computer. I do like the MB quite a lot but the design of the MBP is just beautiful

DSchwartz88

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2006
generik said:
Someone is probably trying to alleviate a bit of his post purchase dissonance.... :rolleyes:

lol sorry.....got a little carried away, and no i didnt buy the MBP yet, im still chugging along on my good ol PBG4. Its just i need windows soon to run some electrical engineering programs, and im getting a little tense. Im one of those latest and greatest guys. So i will not settle for buying a laptop and it being outdated less than a couple weeks later. Also he just sounded a little ro arrogant for mu liking

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.