Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Hello :)

This is my second post ever. :) My first post was moments ago under the Accessories forum: I'm looking for a white skin for the front of my new SE 2020. However, I wanted to offer something to balance out my ask for something. :)

A bit ago, I relented and tried the Walmart deal, but after more time that I ever really wanted to give to Walmart passed, I couldn't get the order to go through. It had something to do with the store's website not getting confirmation from my carrier, just AFTER they got confirmation from my carrier.

After several chats and phone calls with both Walmart and my carrier, I found an amazing human being who worked at Verizon. At some point, this kind and clever woman said, "I'll help you out here." She said that if I buy the phone from them with my upgrade, she'll give me a $200 credit that comes off in $8-and-some-change increments each month on my bill. So I payed the $250 as a downpayment (since I bought the 128gb version), and now each month I get a bill for $8 and a credit for $8.

I realize it's not completely clear and free, so if you're looking for that, this won't help. But if you're struggling to deal with Walmart or simply don't want to deal with them, I wanted to share a positive experience so that maybe someone else could find a way to get a good deal, too. :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am guessing this was some form of a contract. Just make sure you plan on keeping Verizon for at least the next few years, or you will probably owe back the statement credits/remaining balance.

Reactions: HarryWild

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
Yes, I would have to pay for the whole phone if I cancelled my Verizon account in the next couple of years since I wouldn't get monthly credits.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
So a 2 year contract to save $8 a month... That’s fine if you didn’t plan to switch carriers, but Verizon wins out way more than the consumer on this deal if they can lock people into their service to save a few bucks.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
My intention was to not suggest that this was an ideal solution for all situations; it was simply to share a way that worked for me when I couldn't get the Walmart deal to work. Thought it was worth sharing if it could possibly help one other person.

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.