Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counted Out

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
After hearing everyone talk to greatly about them, I'm looking at the Power Support Crystal Film for my iPhone. While doing this I noticed they make a regular version and a Anti-Glare version, for the same price.

This has me wondering if there are any cons to the Anti-Glare version that the regular one does not have? I don't have a problem with glare that often, but if I can get the Anti-Glare shield for the same price, without any downsides, that seems like the best way to go.

Also, I already have a (uninstalled) BestSkinEver skin, is the Power Support film really that much better?

Thanks guys.

scull20

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
First off, I have a PS Anti-Glare and I absolutely love it.

I cannot say much about how it compares to the crystal screen protector or the BSE, as I've never used them.

I bought the Anti-Glare because I wanted something that was going to reduce smudges and fingerprints. The Anti-Glare does a superb job at this as well as diffusing glare from lights and the sun. The only downsides that others complain about sometimes, but it does not really bother me is the texture and somewhat grainy image that the screen has with it on. I actually prefer the texture of the Anti-Glare over the naked screen, its a lot easier to run your finger across the screen. As for the "grainy" image, it may take some getting used to, and is a usually what turns people off to getting the anti-glare over the crystal.

-Ryan

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007

I cannot say much about how it compares to the crystal screen protector or the BSE, as I've never used them.

I bought the Anti-Glare because I wanted something that was going to reduce smudges and fingerprints. The Anti-Glare does a superb job at this as well as diffusing glare from lights and the sun. The only downsides that others complain about sometimes, but it does not really bother me is the texture and somewhat grainy image that the screen has with it on. I actually prefer the texture of the Anti-Glare over the naked screen, its a lot easier to run your finger across the screen. As for the "grainy" image, it may take some getting used to, and is a usually what turns people off to getting the anti-glare over the crystal.

-Ryan
I own the Power Custom Crystal screen protector, and agree with the statement that the anti glare protector does make the image a bit grainy. And as someone who watches lots of video on my iPhone, I don't want to dumb the display down. So I like the clear crystal version better. It does get fingerprints and oil on it just like the glass does with no protection, but it easily wipes off, and gives you scratch protection. I dropped a pair of needle nose pliers nose down on my iPhone's screen from a few inches up, and thank god it did not crack the glass, and only made a barely visible mark in my Power Custom screen protector. I keep meaning to take it off and put the 2nd one that came in the package on my phone, but it hasn't bothered me enough yet.

I love this thing. I tried a Invisible Shield on my first gen iPhone, and hated it. I took it off after 2 weeks. It is a different type of material, and uses a different method to adhere to the screen. I do not like it at all because it leaves an orange peel type look to the display and just looks cheap. You can totally tell it's there. The Power Custom protector is truly invisible. And though I've never personally seen a BSE, I know they are similar to the Invisible Shield product, and I would expect the same results with them as with IS.

ennui84

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
usa
I remember there being a screen protector (i think the one i saw was for the BlackBerry) that kind of "shaded" the view for the people around so that they couldn't see what you were looking at.

Anyone know where to get this or if it's even available for the iPhone?

machacker

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
I hear ya. :D sometimes you just don't want everyone watching the latest email to your girl :D

ennui84

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
usa
I hear ya. :D sometimes you just don't want everyone watching the latest email to your girl :D

hehe, yes ;)

I don't suppose you know if it would work well with a BSE (bestskinever) either over or under it? I'm wondering if both of those over the screen would mess with the touch screen..

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
I agree with what everyone says about the PS Antiglare feeling great and protecting but that it does take away from the screen. I had always had the PS Antiglare since Day 1 and then just a few weeks ago I decided to ditch my Incase Slider and get an InvisibleSHEILD installed by Zagg, and I don't know if any of you have seen those "Claritin" allergy medicine commercials but that's how I feel... Like I can finally see clear after looking through a haze always. I personally like the orangepeel feel and grip on my iPhone.

I wouldn't recommend using the privacy film and a screen protector, kind of redundant and your bound to have some complications. Just my thought though.

ennui84

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
usa
I agree with what everyone says about the PS Antiglare feeling great and protecting but that it does take away from the screen. I had always had the PS Antiglare since Day 1 and then just a few weeks ago I decided to ditch my Incase Slider and get an InvisibleSHEILD installed by Zagg, and I don't know if any of you have seen those "Claritin" allergy medicine commercials but that's how I feel... Like I can finally see clear after looking through a haze always. I personally like the orangepeel feel and grip on my iPhone.

I wouldn't recommend using the privacy film and a screen protector, kind of redundant and your bound to have some complications. Just my thought though.

I just wish the privacy film covered the whole front of the phone like the BSE does.

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007

-Ryan

I've used both the Anti-Glare and Crystal Film. Went from A-G to Crystal, then back to A-G. Didn't like the Crystal, because it was only slightly better than the naked glass for resisting cheek gunk and fingerprints, and I ended up with a mar in it one day, I knew not from where. Went back to the A-G, will put up with the slight haziness of the image. Turn up the brightness a degree, and it counteracts half of it. The other half is the cost of doing business. Fingerprints are pretty much not an issue, and you can rub off skin oils easily enough, especially if you let the smudges dry slightly first. I actually find that they rub off pretty effectively just by carrying the iPhone in my pocket normally.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I had the anti-glare for almost a year. It really did work great. I took it off one day though and was amazed at how nice the screen was without anything. The colors seemed so much more vibrant and deep. I left it off after that. It did cut the glare very good though. It is worth a shot if that is what you are after.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Grainy screen or screen smudges

choose the one that annoys you the most , that should be the final factor in making your decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.