Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shahrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Northern Virginia
Hello,

I just purchased a license for Parallels and was wondering if it's necessary to install antivirus on an XP image that I'm using? Is it ever possible for a virus, if one comes into the XP image, to affect anything outside of that virtual windows environment?

Thanks!

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Shahrum said:
Hello,

I just purchased a license for Parallels and was wondering if it's necessary to install antivirus on an XP image that I'm using? Is it ever possible for a virus, if one comes into the XP image, to affect anything outside of that virtual windows environment?

Thanks!

If you were to get a virus on the xp install in parallels it would not affect the Mac OS but it will certainly mess up your XP setup so you should have virus protection if you plan to use XP online.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Does Parallels allow you to make a snapshot of your VM? I'd get a free antivirus and make a snapshot of XP in GOOD working condition. If it infected just revert to your good snapshot. Just make sure you have your other files backed up too.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Eidorian said:
Does Parallels allow you to make a snapshot of your VM? I'd get a free antivirus and make a snapshot of XP in GOOD working condition. If it infected just revert to your good snapshot. Just make sure you have your other files backed up too.

Well parallels is simply a file on the drive so it's quite easy to back it up. You can simply copy the file to a different drive or just duplicate the file at any time.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
waremaster said:
Well parallels is simply a file on the drive so it's quite easy to back it up. You can simply copy the file to a different drive or just duplicate the file at any time.
I'm used to being able to make snapshots of the VM state in VMWare. I haven't used Parallels. I'm waiting for their 3D acceleration work first.

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
Eidorian said:
I'm used to being able to make snapshots of the VM state in VMWare. I haven't used Parallels. I'm waiting for their 3D acceleration work first.

Parallels and VMware are so similar it's not even funny. You may find snapshots are an option as well. I couldnt tell you for sure though.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
waremaster said:
Parallels and VMware are so similar it's not even funny. You may find snapshots are an option as well. I couldnt tell you for sure though.
I mean, it just makes sense to have VM state snapshots. It allows you to create a workflow and package an OS installation for deployment. I've had to turn one XP installation into 3 different types and package them for different departments. I just took a snapshot of the base state (XP, patches, drivers, security) and worked from there.

Shahrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Northern Virginia
I'm mainly just using XP to access my work's VPN thru Cisco and then use the Citrix web apps which works much better in XP than Mac OSX because of the Internet Explorer dependencies.

The only other concern is with shared folders... I have my ~\Documents folder shared with full write/read on both OS's... if XP does something to put a file into that share then should I be concerned? I'm guessing a virus in XP could wipe that data folder, but wouldn't go any further... perhaps I'll reevaluate the shared folder idea or just put my university's copy of Symantec Corporate on the XP image.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
Shahrum said:
I'm mainly just using XP to access my work's VPN thru Cisco and then use the Citrix web apps which works much better in XP than Mac OSX because of the Internet Explorer dependencies.

The only other concern is with shared folders... I have my ~\Documents folder shared with full write/read on both OS's... if XP does something to put a file into that share then should I be concerned? I'm guessing a virus in XP could wipe that data folder, but wouldn't go any further... perhaps I'll reevaluate the shared folder idea or just put my university's copy of Symantec Corporate on the XP image.

Mind if I ask what kind of IE dependancies you are refering to... I know its a vendor talking, but Citrix told me during a presentation of their server that the experience is suppose to be completely transparent, no matter what OS is used.

The shared folder might be a vector for a virus to get onto your mac, they wont effect any mac files or applications but from your mac you can spread the virus to other machines. I would install AV software on your windows virtual machine, a windows VM is only vulnerable if you plan on connecting it to a network, clearly you plan on doing just that.

Shahrum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Northern Virginia
Lollypop said:
Mind if I ask what kind of IE dependancies you are refering to... I know its a vendor talking, but Citrix told me during a presentation of their server that the experience is suppose to be completely transparent, no matter what OS is used.

The shared folder might be a vector for a virus to get onto your mac, they wont effect any mac files or applications but from your mac you can spread the virus to other machines. I would install AV software on your windows virtual machine, a windows VM is only vulnerable if you plan on connecting it to a network, clearly you plan on doing just that.

The app I'm trying to access is IE-only and when run thru Citrix, Citrix launches an IE instance and then connects to that web app. Do you mean that if I connected to the VPN thru Cisco on my Mac (w/o parallels) and then pulled the Citrix site up that it would run IE on my Mac? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.