Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
This is a totally random question, but out of curiosity does anyone still use iOS 3 devices in 2018 as either a daily driver (lol, I know) or as a secondary device?

I recently bought an iPod Touch 1st gen on 3.1.3 and have been running Cydia on it. Downloaded a few apps and some of them still work surprisingly well. I'm mostly using it as an old school game emulator for the time being, but I might find other uses for it (like a media player, if I can somehow get all my Apple Music songs to download as MP3s lol).

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
This is a totally random question, but out of curiosity does anyone still use iOS 3 devices in 2018 as either a daily driver (lol, I know) or as a secondary device?

I recently bought an iPod Touch 1st gen on 3.1.3 and have been running Cydia on it. Downloaded a few apps and some of them still work surprisingly well. I'm mostly using it as an old school game emulator for the time being, but I might find other uses for it (like a media player, if I can somehow get all my Apple Music songs to download as MP3s lol).
I still have a first and second gen Touch running 3.1.3. I use one when the others battery dies. I also have an old BootROM iPhone 3GS downgraded to 3.1.3, which is jailbroken due to the downgrade method. I sometimes use it for some stupid stuff, but not as my main device.

The first 3 iOS versions still appeal to me, I like the home screen design better than the one featured in iOS 4-6 and 7-11.
Very simple OS, in a good way.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I still have a first and second gen Touch running 3.1.3. I use one when the others battery dies. I also have an old BootROM iPhone 3GS downgraded to 3.1.3, which is jailbroken due to the downgrade method. I sometimes use it for some stupid stuff, but not as my main device.

The first 3 iOS versions still appeal to me, I like the home screen design better than the one featured in iOS 4-6 and 7-11.
Very simple OS, in a good way.

Yeah, I also have an iPod Touch 4th Gen on 6.1.6 that I use occasionally for iMessage and to write on. And I like the simplicity too. My main phone (7 Plus on iOS 11.4.1) is powerful and I like it, but as you said, the simplicity is good.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

I’ve heard that it was a good version of iOS.

Reactions: VirtuallyInsane

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I have 3.1.3 on my 3GS, though I swap back to iOS 6 sometimes when I'm using it as an actual phone with my SIM just for app compatibility, but downgrade back with Alloc8.

Also just sold my iPod touch 2G with 2.2.1 (MB model). But still have another 2nd gen with 3.1.3 on it, has never been upgraded past that since it was unboxed all those years ago.

Also have SHSH blobs for iOS 3.2 on my original iPad that can be downgraded. It's still in the family but I no longer own it.

Mostly good as a music player and to run old apps like some of the tap tap games that I still have and others in my iTunes app library.

Still have 3 30pin compatible docks, iHome, and 2X Sony ones.

ZStech

Suspended
Feb 3, 2019

I pretty like an old OS's bu the main thing I have problems with is compatibility. Most of the applications are not compatible with an old OS's. I have an iPad 2-d gen with 4.3 and I do not wan't to upgrade it. It looks simple but I'm a minimalist :rolleyes: I guess it was made for me :)

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I have 3.1.3 on my 3GS, though I swap back to iOS 6 sometimes when I'm using it as an actual phone with my SIM just for app compatibility, but downgrade back with Alloc8.

Also just sold my iPod touch 2G with 2.2.1 (MB model). But still have another 2nd gen with 3.1.3 on it, has never been upgraded past that since it was unboxed all those years ago.

Also have SHSH blobs for iOS 3.2 on my original iPad that can be downgraded. It's still in the family but I no longer own it.

Mostly good as a music player and to run old apps like some of the tap tap games that I still have and others in my iTunes app library.

Still have 3 30pin compatible docks, iHome, and 2X Sony ones.

Nice. I bet the original iPad flies with iOS 3.2 on it.

Bought an iPhone 2G recently and loved it!

Still use it as a secondary device, especially at an event cuz it is a true conversation magnet.

Yeah, do you get people asking "Why?" more than anything?

I pretty like an old OS's bu the main thing I have problems with is compatibility. Most of the applications are not compatible with an old OS's. I have an iPad 2-d gen with 4.3 and I do not wan't to upgrade it. It looks simple but I'm a minimalist :rolleyes: I guess it was made for me :)
OTE]

Yeah, it's annoying. On iOS 3, you can still download apps if you jailbreak it. Try running a jailbreak on it?

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
3g with 3.1.3 JB / Cydia.

Transferred my landline# (of 25 years) to it. Landline was costing $35/mo.

Use $15/mo prepaid plan for phone, alarm, email.
Browsers don't seem to work with many sites, and Maps are R-E-A-L-L-y slow.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
3g with 3.1.3 JB / Cydia.

Transferred my landline# (of 25 years) to it. Landline was costing $35/mo.

Use $15/mo prepaid plan for phone, alarm, email.
Browsers don't seem to work with many sites, and Maps are R-E-A-L-L-y slow.

As a daily driver? Interesing.

sfphoto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
>On iOS 3, you can still download apps if you jailbreak it
I find Cydia to be way to slow to bother with. Is there another option?

Lots of changes this year (suspect security measures) with this and other older devices such as:
iP4s iOS5
iPad Mini 1 iOS6
iPad 2

All worked much better last year.

So am now using Ting with the iP3. $12/month for 100min +100mb, the latter for email.

VirtuallyInsane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
>On iOS 3, you can still download apps if you jailbreak it
I find Cydia to be way to slow to bother with. Is there another option?

Lots of changes this year (suspect security measures) with this and other older devices such as:
iP4s iOS5
iPad Mini 1 iOS6
iPad 2

All worked much better last year.

So am now using Ting with the iP3. $12/month for 100min +100mb, the latter for email.

I think Cydia is the only one IIRC. I have Cydia on my iPT 1st Gen and I get what you mean but it lets me sideload apps so that's why I use it.

Sounds cool.

M3Stang

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2015
I miss using these. I still have an iPhone 2G (have almost all iPhone gens ever) and it is fun to use once in a while to remember. I don't think that the 2G work anymore. I have not found my SIM card adaptors so have not been able to try it out with my current nano sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.