Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrClark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2003
Hi, It's nice to know I have finally found a great forum and community. ;) I'm looking into purchasing a Power Mac Dual G4, 1.25 Ghz ~256-512 MB RAM, incl. monitor at a relatively low price - if there is such a thing... :p Mainly for designing purposes.

My only dilemma is that I am located in Europe. It's very difficult for me to find an online distributor. I've checked the buyers link that was located on this forum. So I have come here to get some recommendations as to where I might be able to acquire a low priced system. It would be great if there was a place that ships globally. Perhaps there are some places that offer used or refurbished dual G4's?? :confused: Buying directly from apple.com is a bit expensive and going through eBay is slightly risky.

Any advice on where I can buy via online would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time! :cool:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Are you a student, work for an educational institution, or are you a Mac developer? If so, you can get discounts on new purchases.

MrClark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2003
Hey Doctor Q, thanks for replying. No I'm not a student, nor involved at an educational institution. This is for personal use.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I was going to suggest Shreve Systems, but now I think I remember that they closed up shop, even though their web site still seems to be there. I phoned them and there was no answer and no recording.

You can check for Apple's own refurbs by going to the online Apple Store and clicking "Special deals" in the bottom left corner. But I don't see any Power Macs there today.

Gee, I'm not much help, am I? :(

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I'm assuming you meant 256 -512 MB.

Try someplace like PowerMax or SmallDog. They have some old used and refurbished Macs. I've seen older 1 GHz G4s for around $1100 - $1200. Duals are a bit more.

How much are you willing to spend?

MrClark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2003
Thanks, I'm waiting for a response back from Small Dog. Seems they have a DP G4 for ~$1600. The only thing is, you have to be a "Top Dog Club Member" and from what I understood... you needed to be located in their area or a past customer. I'm trying to find something used in that price range w/ a monitor, keyboard, & mouse.

Originally posted by solvs
I'm assuming you meant 256 - 512 MB.

Ah yes, thanks solvs for proofreading. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.