Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Zoom worked some time ago but not anymore and Skype hasn't worked in ages... any alternatives for these that might still work? Probably not but I wanted to ask anyway.. thanks.

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I didn't see that you are still using Snow Leopard. The recommendations that I said won't work on your current macOS. Why not upgrade your macOS for more options?

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Because I am a Snow Leopard fanatic, lol... yeah, I will probably have to upgrade but wanted to know if anybody knew a zoom-like program that would still work with this ancient OS.

Zoom stopped working for me in June, I think, whem zoom released an update. It first seems that the version 3.6.10826.1101 still works when you open it, but when you try to join a meeting, the program informs "A new version of zoom is available!" - But when you click "update now", it says "download failed". I guess the reason for that is that OS doesn't support the update..

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Either stop the updates for zoom or re-download the Zoom version that will still work for Snow Leopard.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Zoom stopped working for me in June, I think, whem zoom released an update. It first seems that the version 3.6.10826.1101 still works when you open it, but when you try to join a meeting, the program informs "A new version of zoom is available!" - But when you click "update now", it says "download failed". I guess the reason for that is that OS doesn't support the update..
Oh, neat, so the only thing preventing Zoom from working on Snow Leopard is the update available message?

Please consider uploading that copy to the Macintosh Garden, I'm not aware of any other way to download an older version of Zoom. The Internet Archive has a few copies but Zoom downloads seem to occasionally download OS-specific installers if you're on an OS.

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Yes the update message is the problem. So I don't think anyone would benefit from this version on Macintosh Garden.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Oh, I guess you can't just dismiss the prompt to join the meeting anyway? That's what I was imagining initially.

glsillygili

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
New York
Wow Im surprised zoom was working on SL earlier this year. If I would have known I definitely would have used it. I kept rebooting into el capitan to use zoom.

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Sigh, I almost thought that video chatting in a browser would be possible with Nightly and Interweb, it looked promising, my iMac camera showed up and everything... and a couple of sites said that 52 FF is minimun (and aren't those browsers above that?). But then it didn't show the other person (no audio or video), just text chatting was possible. I guess nothing can be done about it?

These are the sites I tried: https://gotalk.to

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
If you were even one version ahead, you could install Chromium Legacy and use basically any chat service via their webapp, because for better or worse everything works in Chromium these days... but I know, Lion is no Snow Leopard.

Your best bet is probably VMWare.

Edit: Oh, you know what... if you really wanted to and your friends don’t mind switching, Mumble would work. It’s self hosted. As a side effect, you get really low latency, which can uncannily improve the quality of conversations.

Johnny1068

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Yeah, I have noticed that many things work on 10.7 but not on 10.6. In fact, this machine (iMac 2006) could be upgraded to 10.7 but i have read it wouldn't be a wise move to do, other things might not work that well after that.

There is one thing that might work though: Jitsi Desktop and using google talk with it. Haven't yet tried it fully but at least it gives audio and video chat options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.