Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oka

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2013
iPhone 14 Pro Max / iOS 16.6.1 / Windows 10 / iTunes 12.12.9.4

On my PC, I have folders of my music selections in playlists, which I replicated to my iPhone Music (Music Player). Yes, it plays and jumps to the next track. With this iPhone's music player, I cannot achieve the followings:

1. Manually play the next or previous track.
2. Easily go back to the Playlist to select another playlist.

Would anyone suggest another music player for iPhone I can achieve the followings:
3. Sync my music playlist from my computer to this music player while maintaining the playlist structure on my PC.
4. Be able to manually move to next track or even repeat the currently playing track.

VLC would have been the right one for me. Still I cannot achieve #3 and #4. Using iTunes, I can copy my PC playlist folders to to the iPhone's VLC app, wired or wireless. However, the playlist would not show in the iPhone VLC.

I can create playlists in iPhone, transfer music from my PC, via iTunes to iPhone VLC, but I would have to manually select the tracks to the newly created playlist. The copied files are in alphabetical order in the iPhone, which is so tedious to select which is which for a playlist.

My goals are to achieve #3 and #4, either with iTunes or any other alternative, with a different music player, not the iOS player.

Bye the way, with the new iOS 17 new features coming up soon, I wonder if something newer and better would come with the music player.
I would have to check the newer features (if any).

Thanks.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
iPhone 14 Pro Max / iOS 16.6.1 / Windows 10 / iTunes 12.12.9.4

On my PC, I have folders of my music selections in playlists, which I replicated to my iPhone Music (Music Player). Yes, it plays and jumps to the next track. With this iPhone's music player, I cannot achieve the followings:

1. Manually play the next or previous track.
2. Easily go back to the Playlist to select another playlist.

Would anyone suggest another music player for iPhone I can achieve the followings:
3. Sync my music playlist from my computer to this music player while maintaining the playlist structure on my PC.
4. Be able to manually move to next track or even repeat the currently playing track.

VLC would have been the right one for me. Still I cannot achieve #3 and #4. Using iTunes, I can copy my PC playlist folders to to the iPhone's VLC app, wired or wireless. However, the playlist would not show in the iPhone VLC.

I can create playlists in iPhone, transfer music from my PC, via iTunes to iPhone VLC, but I would have to manually select the tracks to the newly created playlist. The copied files are in alphabetical order in the iPhone, which is so tedious to select which is which for a playlist.

My goals are to achieve #3 and #4, either with iTunes or any other alternative, with a different music player, not the iOS player.

Bye the way, with the new iOS 17 new features coming up soon, I wonder if something newer and better would come with the music player.
I would have to check the newer features (if any).

Thanks.
Be able to manually move to next track or even repeat the currently playing track.

When you are in the Music app and playing a playlist, the MiniPlayer should show at the bottom. Tapping that should expand it and and you can then use the << and >> buttons to go to next and previous tracks in the playlist.

I have no idea how you would automate syncing playlists if you are not managing them using the same app on both platforms. If you are using Apple Music on both iOS and Windows you can arrange your tracks how you like and those playlists should sync. If you are playing a different playlist on Windows with a different app then I doubt you’ll find a solution for that.

Oka

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2013
Be able to manually move to next track or even repeat the currently playing track.

When you are in the Music app and playing a playlist, the MiniPlayer should show at the bottom. Tapping that should expand it and and you can then use the << and >> buttons to go to next and previous tracks in the playlist.

I have no idea how you would automate syncing playlists if you are not managing them using the same app on both platforms. If you are using Apple Music on both iOS and Windows you can arrange your tracks how you like and those playlists should sync. If you are playing a different playlist on Windows with a different app then I doubt you’ll find a solution for that.
Hello,

Please, see attached of what I have on my phone (iOS 17.1), and I do not have Apple Music.
I just use the Music Player that is default with iPhone.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 32
  • 02.PNG
    02.PNG
    117.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 03.PNG
    03.PNG
    138.9 KB · Views: 27

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Hello,

Please, see attached of what I have on my phone (iOS 17.1), and I do not have Apple Music.
I just use the Music Player that is default with iPhone.
Yes, that is Apple’s Music app. It replaced the older iTunes app some years ago.

Oka

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2013
Yes, that is Apple’s Music app. It replaced the older iTunes app some years ago.
To my initial post, would you know of any other alternative to the Music Player for creating playlist to the phone?

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
To my initial post, would you know of any other alternative to the Music Player for creating playlist to the phone?
Apple Music is what you would use to do playlists on that Music app. If you have iTunes on Widows, you should be able to use that to create your playlists and they should sync to the Music app on your phone.

Other services like Spotify have their own player with playlists. Amazon music is another one. Youtube Music, too. I don't know of any that are just players that work with static files. They are all streaming music anymore.

Oka

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2013
Apple Music is what you would use to do playlists on that Music app. If you have iTunes on Widows, you should be able to use that to create your playlists and they should sync to the Music app on your phone.

Other services like Spotify have their own player with playlists. Amazon music is another one. Youtube Music, too. I don't know of any that are just players that work with static files. They are all streaming music anymore.
Thanks for the information.

However, 99% of my music are the digitized music from my Records and Cassettes, and I play them on my phone only. Would have liked to bypass the iTunes and create direct playlists on my phone, from my Windows PC.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Thanks for the information.

However, 99% of my music are the digitized music from my Records and Cassettes, and I play them on my phone only. Would have liked to bypass the iTunes and create direct playlists on my phone, from my Windows PC.
Apple Music has a feature that used to be called “iTunes Match”. It will scan your local music files and either map them to files in its streaming library or upload your files directly if it cannot find a match. Then you can stream those files on your phone. I have much of my original iTunes music library available that way.

The question you will need to determine is where are you getting the music. It is your files or files from a streaming music library or a combination. Then once you have decided on your source, setting up the playlists is not too complicated. If you phone music source and PC music source are the same then doing that and syncing the playlists shouldn’t be too hard. If they are different sources, then I don’t see a way to really keep them in sync.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I did run across this app that claims to move playlists from one streaming provider to another. I don’t know if it would help in your case but it might be worth a look. From the description it does look like it is for streaming music. Not sure if that is what you are looking for or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.