Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Particularly looking at files app...

So now allows USB drives and storage, do we now not need the lightning to SD/USB cables? Do they work on all iPad's not just pro south USB-C?

I have a SanDisk lightning USB drive. Can I just use this anywhere rather than only in the SanDisk app?

Can you now copy files to the iPad/iPhone internal memory for offline viewing? I use this for Dropbox when away or flying, to store docs, PDFs, scans of info required etc.

If have movies on a USB stick can you play direct now from stick or still need an app to play? I'm thinking now don't need a larger Gb iPad for wife as she only uses it for basic tasks but when away I put some movies and TV episodes on.

Again are all these available on all iPad's and iPhone's or just Pro iPad's with USB-C?

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
They never said anything about it being supported on only USB-C devices. So in theory, maybe?

If I had a lightning to USB adapter I'd try it for you but sadly I don't. :(

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Particularly looking at files app...

So now allows USB drives and storage, do we now not need the lightning to SD/USB cables? Do they work on all iPad's not just pro south USB-C?

I have a SanDisk lightning USB drive. Can I just use this anywhere rather than only in the SanDisk app?

Can you now copy files to the iPad/iPhone internal memory for offline viewing? I use this for Dropbox when away or flying, to store docs, PDFs, scans of info required etc.

If have movies on a USB stick can you play direct now from stick or still need an app to play? I'm thinking now don't need a larger Gb iPad for wife as she only uses it for basic tasks but when away I put some movies and TV episodes on.

Again are all these available on all iPad's and iPhone's or just Pro iPad's with USB-C?

It's definitely not just USB C devices. Multiple people have reported using lightning to USB adapters successfully. For the Sandisk lightning drive I guess it will depend whether it reports as a standard HID device or had it's own wacky protocol that only the app knew

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Thanks. I'm hoping doesn't need the apps and just appear in Files app for a bit more openness. To be fair the SanDisk stick I have is great, appears in Files already, but then clicking on it opens in its own app.

Trouble is copying files from it is difficult to iCloud or similar.

Is this what's restricted HID you mention, I have another drive which is great but the app is ancient, never been updated for new screens, imation link drive. Suppose it's locked down so won't appear ever in Files app?

Also currently I'm not sure how Files works when I click the little cloud button does it stay on iPad/iPhone forever or only when Files open? How do you delete it etc?

I want Files to work a little little DropBox for offline where I pick a file and saves it to iPad/iPhone and remove when I want, can iOS 13 Files do this?

Thanks

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks. I'm hoping doesn't need the apps and just appear in Files app for a bit more openness. To be fair the SanDisk stick I have is great, appears in Files already, but then clicking on it opens in its own app.

Trouble is copying files from it is difficult to iCloud or similar.

Is this what's restricted HID you mention, I have another drive which is great but the app is ancient, never been updated for new screens, imation link drive. Suppose it's locked down so won't appear ever in Files app?

Also currently I'm not sure how Files works when I click the little cloud button does it stay on iPad/iPhone forever or only when Files open? How do you delete it etc?

I want Files to work a little little DropBox for offline where I pick a file and saves it to iPad/iPhone and remove when I want, can iOS 13 Files do this?

Thanks

Sounds like the SanDisk app uses the old style Files extension that allowed it to host a little bit of it's own UI in Files. Like you mention though that makes it difficult to move files between other providers and it. I guess there's two possibilities to get what you want: -

- The device presents as a standard disk and can be read natively by Files
- Sandisk update their app to provide a modern integration with Files using the newer APIs

Either would make it look and work like any other drive.

To your point about iCloud offloading vs Dropbox. Yep, the unpredictability of iCloud (it may offload files from your device to cloud as it sees fit) vs the granular control of Dropbox ("I want this file locally, do not remove it") is something that a lot of people want I think. Sometimes Apple, in its effort to not let users hang themselves debilitate users with more advanced needs. Hopefully they do something about this one.

Edit: seems there may well be an option to keep files from iCloud "pinned" now. It's there on the context menu. Cool.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.