Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philstubbington

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Despite being an Apple fanboy, I resisted the temptation to get an Apple Watch.... until now.

I've been looking into various workout apps, and for now settled on Gymatic. I want to be able to setup my own workout routines, and ideally for the app to tell me what the next exercise is. My wife is using Gymatic as well, and for a brief period of time Gymatic announced the next exercise but that's now stopped......

So, two questions I would appreciate some input on.

Q1. Have you found a better workout app that Gymatic - one that enables you to setup your own workout routine from scratch, and has voice announcements?
Q2. If you're using Gymatic, do you get voice announcements (or have you stopped getting them, and managed to get them back again)? If so, how?

Thank you :)

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
I don't know what app is best and there are so many options. For working out, do you mean weightlifting with sets and reps, or something else?

I see I demo'd gymatic long ago, and possibly before it changed names. It is another app that promised automatic counting of reps. I don't use it and can't really remember my impression of it, but the automatic counting didn't really work and overall was not my choice at the time (it is possible that some of the features required a subscription).

Did you demo gymaholic? It is not perfect, but it does do what you ask I think (although it beeps in terms of timing, not voice alerts). It counts down your rest period, and either starts a new set of the same workout, or moves on to the next exercise. You use the watch to complete each round and that starts the timer again. I think part of the reason I liked this app best, was that I am lazy, and so I never really followed my workout plans, and this was flexible enough to let me skip something I planned and move on to the next one and/or finish early, mostly using my watch.

my weightbench is 2 ft behind me and I really should lift some weights.

philstubbington

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I don't know what app is best and there are so many options. For working out, do you mean weightlifting with sets and reps, or something else?

I see I demo'd gymatic long ago, and possibly before it changed names. It is another app that promised automatic counting of reps. I don't use it and can't really remember my impression of it, but the automatic counting didn't really work and overall was not my choice at the time (it is possible that some of the features required a subscription).

Did you demo gymaholic? It is not perfect, but it does do what you ask I think (although it beeps in terms of timing, not voice alerts). It counts down your rest period, and either starts a new set of the same workout, or moves on to the next exercise. You use the watch to complete each round and that starts the timer again. I think part of the reason I liked this app best, was that I am lazy, and so I never really followed my workout plans, and this was flexible enough to let me skip something I planned and move on to the next one and/or finish early, mostly using my watch.

my weightbench is 2 ft behind me and I really should lift some weights.
A mixture of work outs - planks, superman, dead bugs, floor press, bent over barbell rows, sit squats, renegade rows, quad stretches, standing calf raises, kneeling hip flexors and single leg glute bridges.

Just taken up the 3 month free Fitness+ trial, but looks a bit much for me ;)

Tried Gymaholic and found that a bit much too.

gecko579

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
Chapel Hill
Nike training club (NTC) is *OK*: FREE, plenty of variety/length of workouts, good visuals via iphone (only) app. Of late the watch integration has been very buggy (laggy transitions to new exercises) but all in all I’ve liked using it (now about 2 years “running”—see what I did there?)

Reactions: philstubbington
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.