Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TobiasT

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
MP 8.1 was a huge disappointment. No cpu/ram/gpu upgrades, a cpu that you can find on Mac Studio, and a stupid price. Why would one buy it?

If you have it, this is the thread to prove the forum wrong. The floor is yours.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
MP 8.1 was a huge disappointment. No cpu/ram/gpu upgrades, a cpu that you can find on Mac Studio, and a stupid price. Why would one buy it?

If you have it, this is the thread to prove the forum wrong. The floor is yours.

You won’t find any 8,1 owners anywhere. It’s 14,8.

In any case, the 14,8 owners seem to have some use cases. Rest of us are hanging on to our 7,1 machines that still work fine. And eventually some will leave the Apple space completely.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
While I think the 14,8 is a huge disappointment and a big let down for the Mac Pro line, on the order of the trashcan, it certainly has many great use cases.

I do think many many people will enjoy it and find great uses for it.

For example, if you only put in 1 16lane PCIe card, you can get some amazing PCIe4 SSD speeds with some large hard drive sizes in its (one useful) slot. Something you cannot do in the MacStudio. The hyper fast SSD speeds have lots and lots of uses in different fields. So there is zero doubt it's better than a Mac Studio, but, it really is more of a Mac Studio Pro and is not a real Mac Pro.

Of course there are more benefits than just the one above.

It's a bit of a weird thread. I think the 14,8 will be a very useful machine for many people. I don't foresee people having any difficulty in showing a lot of great use cases for it.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Newsflash: Mac Pro users are the least likely among Apple users to want to prove anything to you.

Reactions: avro707

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
And I suppose you are a would-be buyer yourself?
After having trash talked the Mac Pro for years, doubtful.

Except maybe if it is a shiny black round device which the OP previously expressed a liking for on past forum replies.

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
Though I intend to hold onto my 7,1 for another 2 or 3 more years, if I was in the market now, I'd probably go for the new 14,8 Mac Pro over the Studio.

The multiple PCIE slots would allow me to run my multiple NVME drives at full speed and use them more pragmatically for my use case. Like one slot for a media/disk cache, another slot for NVME RAID 0 using my current controller card and another for medium management/exports. And another slot for my AJA Video I/O card. And I can use my 2 HDD project backup drives internally still using my Flex 3Ji. All inside one singular tower without all the external thunderbolt boxes.

While it certainly isn't what I would've hoped for ultimately for an update to the Mac Pro, if I was in the market for a machine now, it would still fit my use case and I'd still go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.