Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
LA
Powermax.com has a trade in program on the new G5s. I am looking to trade in my Dual 533 G4 on a new Dual 2 G5, but I wanted to see if anyone had dealt with this vendor before as I have not. They have quoted me a decent price on my trade and I won't have to deal with selling my old comp on Ebay or something.

If anyone has had experience with them, positive or negative, please advise.

Thanks.

Foucault

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
Pasadena, CA
I traded in my G4 450MHZ Tower and got a new Powerbook G4 867MHZ, and I had no problems. They were really cool with the exchange process. I thought there were going to be strict because I didn't have a lot of the manuals or the original mouse from my Computer or original packaging, but they gave me full value for the computer anyway. I was really satisfied. My sales agent was Leah, I don't know if she's still there, but she was really cool throughout the whole process...

Foucault

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
Pasadena, CA
This was about a year ago, and I got $700 (exchange credit) for a G4 Tower with DVD ROM, 10GB HD, 512 MB of RAM, and original Keyboard, and OS9 Disc.

I doubt you can get that much for that now...

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
LA
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will seal the deal.

Originally posted by DreaminDirector
How much did PowerMax give you for your G4 tower?

They are quoting me $950 for my Dual 533. It has two 60gig drives, 1.25 gigs of Ram, Radeon 9000... It is a great machine, but I need to upgrade a bit for the work I am doing (visual effects/video editing). It is just starting to slow me down a bit.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
My Powermax story/question

Hi folks

I'm in a similar boat; I've recently looked into trading up with Powermax and they've offered me $685 for my 466/1.25gb ram (about what it's going for on ebay, although shipping my old system is an out of pocket expense).

So my question, and it's kind of an oldie but goodie, is should I sell now? I kind of had in mind that I would wait for round two of the g5's, figuring they would work out any problems and issues, and with an increased bang/buck ratio. If I wait for the next round of macs I'm sure my system will lose a bit more value. I'm going for the high end g5, so a difference of a couple of hundred is not huge, but still, I'd like to know what others would do in this situation.

Thanks!

actionslacks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
LA
Re: My Powermax story/question

Originally posted by MacKenzie999
Hi folks

I'm in a similar boat; I've recently looked into trading up with Powermax and they've offered me $685 for my 466/1.25gb ram (about what it's going for on ebay, although shipping my old system is an out of pocket expense).

So my question, and it's kind of an oldie but goodie, is should I sell now? I kind of had in mind that I would wait for round two of the g5's, figuring they would work out any problems and issues, and with an increased bang/buck ratio. If I wait for the next round of macs I'm sure my system will lose a bit more value. I'm going for the high end g5, so a difference of a couple of hundred is not huge, but still, I'd like to know what others would do in this situation.

Thanks!

If your current system is working for you now, you should wait until Dec/Jan when I would imagine you can get a good deal on:

1. A discounted Dual 2gig
2. A really well priced Dual 1.8
3. A Dual 2.4(?) gig or whatever is new in the G5 line (I think we will begin to see updates more often with IBM than with motorola)

I need/want to update now for increased procutivity wity my work, or I would definitly wait.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Re: Re: My Powermax story/question

I need/want to update now for increased procutivity wity my work, or I would definitly wait.

Yes, but that doesn't account for the "I want it NOW!" factor.

Thanks for being a voice of reason, I probably will wait.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Its ironic that you guys are talking about PowerMax. I was just at "The Mac Store" (Formerly "The Computer Store") here in Portland. I was looking for a standard Airpost Basestation (Snow), and they pointed me toward them. Its only a few miles away in Lake Oswego. They told me that they are really good, and have a huge inventory, in a big wherehouse. If you have any problems, I'll go down there and "rip them a new one". By the way, they are quoting a snow AP base station at $169, is that a good deal, for a store?

An Comments...

TEG

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Wow! A fellow TCS (TMS) shopper (I shop at the one in Corvallis)!

It's scary that when I walk in, the people at The Mac Store greet me by name and already know what I'm there for.

"Hey Dave how's it going."
"Not bad, Chuck. You?"
"Good. You here to pick up Neverwinter Nights?"
"Yeah."

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Yea, I like The Mac Store, but I have not been able to find thier store in Seattle, so I stick with Micro Computers in Lynnwood.
I'm still trying to find other stores around here. I haven't been to TMS too many times,so tey don't know me yet. I still have to get over to PowerMax, and it was TMS who suggested I look over there, they even went so far to see if it was in stock, and price.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.