Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ash-moo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Hi all,

Recently I have noticed any camera related software (FaceTime, Skype, photo booth) when I open the applicatation my iMac freezes and takes about 5 minutes to load again. The application doesn't work as after every click of the mouse it freezes again.. any ideas anyone?

My iOS is up to date.

Help would be appreciated

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Just for clarification...which version of macOS are you running and on which model iMac?

Are you using the built-in camera? Is there another camera plugged in...and what other peripherals are connected to the iMac?

ash-moo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Just for clarification...which version of macOS are you running and on which model iMac?

Are you using the built-in camera? Is there another camera plugged in...and what other peripherals are connected to the iMac?

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

21.5inch late 2013

Using the built in camera with nothing else plugged in

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Hi all,

Recently I have noticed any camera related software (FaceTime, Skype, photo booth) when I open the applicatation my iMac freezes and takes about 5 minutes to load again. The application doesn't work as after every click of the mouse it freezes again.. any ideas anyone?

My iOS is up to date.

Help would be appreciated

Go into System Report > Hardware > USB and see if your FaceTime camera appears. If it's missing, try resetting your SMC.

If your camera is missing from System Report, those apps may not behave correctly. If it's missing, try resetting your SMC.

Reactions: BrianBaughn

DonK87

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2020
I have the same problem. I tried to use my dslr as a webcam with Camtwist and Camera Live, but the Camtwist crashed all the time. Then I realized that after that everything else camera related is crashing too. Very disturbing problem.. OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 iMac 27 Mid 2011

Franz Haidacher

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
I had the same problem after installing Camtwist. Nothing camera-related worked (PhotoBooth, Zoom, etc). OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 MacBook Pro Mid 2011.
Solved it by following instructions here... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7504014
Delete CamTwist.plugin from CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/
Camtwist installs a library that wreaks havok on any app that uses the camera.

Reactions: amusemarti

amusemarti

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
I had the same problem few days after installing Camtwist. Any application that used the camera (Facetime, Skype, Zoom, Photobooth) would crash right away. I didn't know how to uninstall Camtwist, so I moved Camtwist to my Trash. Today, I moved Camtwist back into my applications (it was still in my trash), clicked Uninstall. When you click Uninstall in Camtwist,a Terminal window opens and it asks you for your administrator password, so typed it in and Camtwist was uninstalled including CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/. Then, I loaded my Facetime app and it worked (including the other apps that use camera).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.