Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uecker87

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2014
Madison, WI
I'm a stock Android nerd I like the Pixel phones and OnePlus for Android.

if I were to go back to an iPhone two things I would like to see the Phone app updated to work like the JB tweak. And I'd like to see AOD always on display .The other updates to iOS 13 are very welcomed like a dark theme and so were other new features are nice to see Apple including .
Yeah I float back and forth between the platforms. Settled on the XS Max for this cycle but still bought a Pixel 3a XL for whenever I have that itch.

There are things both platforms could take from each other. iOS could definitely be improved with a better Phone app and AOD. (And just general customization options) While Android still could use better scrolling, app support, and across the board OS/security updates for non-Pixel phones with Project Treble.

Overall, I want both platforms to succeed and push each other. I get bored of each OS after so long, so I refuse to let myself get deep into either ecosystem. I only really use platform neutral apps.

Back on topic though - hopefully it doesn’t take long for them to better handle incoming calls though!

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I don't think I have ever seen such hostility on MacRumors. It almost felt like I was /r/jailbreak/ ... He tried to cover my arguments, basically explained that I was wrong, but did not even come close to defining his ideas.

Me neither. I mentioned it on twitter too...30 years and never met anyone like it before. It was bad even by this places standards! And he aimed his bile at anyone who dared to not tow his ‘party line’.

Anyway back OT, overall I’m disappointed with the lack of visual change in iOS13 as a whole so am not surprised the phone app is stuck at 10 years ago. But like has been said before, I truly believe it will be changed at some point (the phone app I mean), but not till the next iteration IMO.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Craig Feferighi has been on the record noting that they’re aware of this criticism (i.e. calls hijacking your screen) but they can’t change it for iOS 13.

With the average person getting 20+ robocalls a week, it’s about time for them to create an intermediate solution that does not stop all calls (DND) and allows you to quickly check whether you want to answer that call or not.

Ofcourse they couldn't do it for iOS 13.. The emojis/animojis would have a meltdown from being ignored !! ... /s

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
The idea that incoming phone calls should be relegated to simple banners is beyond absurd, and I'm sure brings with it all kinds of legal and social impact concerns for Apple. This isn't just software.

And no, making it "an option" is not the answer for bad ideas.

There is a new feature iOS 13 that lets you silence all unknown calls. That should be more than enough to address this strange concern of not wanting to answer calls.
This reply makes no sense....what? im still confused by this.

Whats so strange about not having a call take over your whole screen?
[doublepost=1564179649][/doublepost]
You obviously don't develop software, which is clear by your flippant disregard for anything other than your very narrow desire.

For a real software company like Apple, whose devices are part of the lives of billions of people, they have to seriously consider the implications of changing something as dramatic as incoming calls. You understand nothing about this, instead you the echo "bla bla bla I want I want" sentiment of the typical KJETGIT user.

None of this is remotely comparable to how it is handled on macOs. macOS isn't a phone. It doesn't receive its own calls from a cell carrier. It is an optional extension of your iPhone where you are simultaneously receiving the call.

Did it ever occur to you that it might not be entirely up to Apple? That cell carriers undoubtedly have a say in what incoming calls look like? Of course it didn't.

There are SO many ways to address your "concerns" with the existing functionality and features that it is obnoxious to have to even point it out, so I won't.
Oh my God you aren't a troll and you're being serious hahahahahaha

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
They don‘t have to completely revamp the incoming call screen, all they have to offer is a way to swipe up a call into the notification centre so you can continue using your phone while someone calls.

That won’t solve video recording getting interrupted though. It needs to not take over the screen (or else you lose access to the viewfinder) or stop recording.

Reactions: NBKindaGirl

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
The idea that incoming phone calls should be relegated to simple banners is beyond absurd, and I'm sure brings with it all kinds of legal and social impact concerns for Apple. This isn't just software.

And no, making it "an option" is not the answer for bad ideas.

There is a new feature iOS 13 that lets you silence all unknown calls. That should be more than enough to address this strange concern of not wanting to answer calls.

Lol @ “making it an option for bad ideas” not being an option, when that’s all Apple has done recently with every single mind-boggling horrible user interface decision they’ve made. Literally everytime they change something, they add an option in settings to be a me to undo it and revert back. From accessibility options, to the new battery charging (which cuts off at 80% and is ridiculous), to just about everything. Their bad design always has an option to turn it off.

But not for the phone app. No. That would be crazy!

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
The phone app is perfect as of now. Dpm't know what's wrong about it. It does the job done and its all I ask for this app. I don't want phone call to be just a banner. This is still a phone and a phone call is still the most importing thing for many people myself included. If you dont want to be bothered when you do something on your phone, that's why DND is here.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
The phone app is perfect as of now. Dpm't know what's wrong about it. It does the job done and its all I ask for this app. I don't want phone call to be just a banner. This is still a phone and a phone call is still the most importing thing for many people myself included. If you dont want to be bothered when you do something on your phone, that's why DND is here.

Glad it’s ok for you. For a lot of us though, we want the full screen gone, or at least an option.

For me it to would be perfect if an incoming call was full screen when not using the phone (as it is now) and a banner when using it.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

Oh stop. What would be wrong with giving users the option to have one behavior or the other like they do with alerts? I shouldn't have to block myself from all communication because I don't want an incoming call hijacking my screen.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013

That is not a good solution to use DND, what if am busy playing Angry Birds, and my wife calls, I can swipe it away, but what if it is Sancha, and I want to pick up? DND will block both calls, send both to voicemail, and not notify me that I have a voicemail, until I turn off DND...There really, is not a good reason to NOT offer it as a user selectable option.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
No absolutely is not a joke, and you demonstrate unimaginable ignorance to not understand any of what you responded to. You post your ridiculous use case as "proof" of something while ignoring literally everything else. What a great addition to a product team you would make.

I'm very familiar with non-software people like yourself being utterly incensed and confused when their bad ideas are revealed to have endless reasons why they can't be done...and all the belligerence that follows
[doublepost=1563982068][/doublepost]
It will not ever exist in the way you imagine, for reasons already explained. So you can forget it.

It absolutely can be done -- it'll impact apps using CallKit but it's not the first or last time that a dependent library or kit is changed and requires re-work from third parties using the aforementioned.

Absolutely this will be changed -- won't be surprised at all if iOS14 includes the aforementioned changes, and frankly it'll most certainly be a banner as described.

You're being smug and pretty rude -- also you're completely wrong. I really *hope* you don't work in product management because you're clearly out to lunch.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Many people also liked alerts as the only style of notifications that were available in the early days of iPhones. It didn't mean anything at all when a few years later Apple updated the notification system and gave other options, like banners, and then even introduced notification center which wasn't there for many years and many people didn't really care for or want.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
It absolutely can be done -- it'll impact apps using CallKit but it's not the first or last time that a dependent library or kit is changed and requires re-work from third parties using the aforementioned.

Absolutely this will be changed -- won't be surprised at all if iOS14 includes the aforementioned changes, and frankly it'll most certainly be a banner as described.

You're being smug and pretty rude -- also you're completely wrong. I really *hope* you don't work in product management because you're clearly out to lunch.
I sure hope he isn’t in customer relations.

Hi Tek

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Canada, Hali

Every full screen game (& app?) in the App Store: "Am I a joke to you?"

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I can understand not everyone like the way it is now but I just don't understand why its so annoying for some. If I do something, it could be a banner or an alert, I'll stop what I'm doing for a second and look at it, full screen or not. And if a call comes and I dont want to answer, I'll just reject the call and it takes 2 seconds. Thats why I dont understand what's the real big deal about it. Maybe its because I dont receive robo call that much and only receive calls from people I know and for doctor appointment and things like that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I can understand not everyone like the way it is now but I just don't understand why its so annoying for some. If I do something, it could be a banner or an alert, I'll stop what I'm doing for a second and look at it, full screen or not. And if a call comes and I dont want to answer, I'll just reject the call and it takes 2 seconds. Thats why I dont understand what's the real big deal about it. Maybe its because I dont receive robo call that much and only receive calls from people I know and for doctor appointment and things like that.
Potentially because rejecting a call and simply not answering are different things which play a role for various people.

Beyond that, if you are in fact using the phone when a call comes up and takes up the full screen, sometimes you might inadvertently press on something you didn't mean to -- like answer it right away accidentally, or decline it when you didn't want to do that, etc.

I mean all these things can be said about any notification--notifications worked like that for a number of years where they popped up as an alert and wouldn't go away until some action from the user, but that was changed a while ago as notifications were adjusted and redesigned. This is really not all that different.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Maybe its because I dont receive robo call that much and only receive calls from people I know and for doctor appointment and things like that.

The iOS 13 change to be able to route unknown callers to voicemail will help a lot with frustration over this UI annoyance. I get several robocalls each day.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Beyond that, if you are in fact using the phone when a call comes up and takes up the full screen, sometimes you might inadvertently press on something you didn't mean to -- like answer it right away accidentally, or decline it when you didn't want to do that, etc.

Those are very good points that I don't think have been covered.

The iOS 13 change to be able to route unknown callers to voicemail will help a lot with frustration over this UI annoyance. I get several robocalls each day.

That might help with robocalls, but, it might mess you up as an Uber Driver. If you have that feature enabled, and the rider calls you, it will come from a random number, and you will miss that call. I missed calls from that, I also missed an important out of state business call. (I was not expecting the call, nor recognized the 907 area code.)

If I was able to have just accepted the call, when it said Fairbanks Alaska, I would have known it was a call I needed to take. The number wasn’t in my contacts, and if another call comes, it might be a different 907 area code call.... I hate the RoboCalls as well...but the solution is not the best to ignore all unknown calls.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Those are very good points that I don't think have been covered.

That might help with robocalls, but, it might mess you up as an Uber Driver. If you have that feature enabled, and the rider calls you, it will come from a random number, and you will miss that call. I missed calls from that, I also missed an important out of state business call. (I was not expecting the call, nor recognized the 907 area code.)

If I was able to have just accepted the call, when it said Fairbanks Alaska, I would have known it was a call I needed to take. The number wasn’t in my contacts, and if another call comes, it might be a different 907 area code call.... I hate the RoboCalls as well...but the solution is not the best to ignore all unknown calls.
For some people putting unknown callers to voicemail is the best option - e.g. My family of 3. One guy called three times in a row as unknown. Scammers &%$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.