Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antmit

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
I've used Mac Mail on Exchange since 2008 when I first switched to Apple, and loved it more or less. However, our work email provider recently had to change over to 365 from on-premise Exchange, and I was forced to start using the new Outlook app.

To be honest, despite being 100% Apple, I do reallllllly like Outlook. It has many features Mac Mail doesn't have, or doesn't do a good enough job of. It's great if you just use it for iCloud and light work stuff, but I get about 150 - 300 emails a day from various sources, meeting invites, etc, and Outlook is a great fit.

It still irks me though, but I can't find any real references to improvements in Mail under Sonoma. I've got the new betas on my phone, watch and iPad, but not had chance yet to install on my MBP. Have there been any changes or enhancements that just went under the radar? I have looked on here too for similar questions, but can't seem to find any.

Cheers
Ant

Reactions: noblesoul117

Stefdar

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2012
For a long time, but especially since it went free, Outlook has become as much a spyware as everything Google or Facebook offers. That's the biggest improvement in Mac Mail in Sonoma, it's not Outlook...

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
I've used Mac Mail on Exchange since 2008 when I first switched to Apple, and loved it more or less. However, our work email provider recently had to change over to 365 from on-premise Exchange, and I was forced to start using the new Outlook app.

To be honest, despite being 100% Apple, I do reallllllly like Outlook. It has many features Mac Mail doesn't have, or doesn't do a good enough job of. It's great if you just use it for iCloud and light work stuff, but I get about 150 - 300 emails a day from various sources, meeting invites, etc, and Outlook is a great fit.

It still irks me though, but I can't find any real references to improvements in Mail under Sonoma. I've got the new betas on my phone, watch and iPad, but not had chance yet to install on my MBP. Have there been any changes or enhancements that just went under the radar? I have looked on here too for similar questions, but can't seem to find any.

Cheers
Ant
Not sure why you have to use Outlook with the hosted Exchange; I use the Office365 hosted Exchange for my business and I still use Mac Mail. I will say that the intelligent auto-complete in Outlook makes Apple's spell-check look like hot garbage, but otherwise I don't like Outlook. The old Outlook from launch through about 2015 was great. Since then...meh.

SnowCrocodile

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2022
SouthEast of Northern MidWest
For a long time, but especially since it went free, Outlook has become as much a spyware as everything Google or Facebook offers. That's the biggest improvement in Mac Mail in Sonoma, it's not Outlook...
Unless all of your contacts are on the same email service as you, the fact is that most of your email is being read by Google or Microsoft anyway.

antmit

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Not sure why you have to use Outlook with the hosted Exchange; I use the Office365 hosted Exchange for my business and I still use Mac Mail. I will say that the intelligent auto-complete in Outlook makes Apple's spell-check look like hot garbage, but otherwise I don't like Outlook. The old Outlook from launch through about 2015 was great. Since then...meh.
I have used Mac Mail for years, but I often found issues with the syncing of data and some things being a bit lost in translation.

Perhaps I'll give it another try once I download the beta, but Outlook is pretty good IMO.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
macOS Mail is fine for me with my Office 365 account…but I'm not in an organization that uses any other features. Also, my contacts and calendars reside elsewhere.

It annoys me that, on my iPhone, I can't move an email from an IMAP account to a folder in the Office 365 account.

SnowCrocodile

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2022
SouthEast of Northern MidWest

Cheers
Ant
The single biggest issue with using Outlook on iPhone is the inability to quickly create a task from email unless you are using MS ToDo as your main task manager. Otherwise yeah it is a superior email client in every way.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
It's great if you just use it for iCloud and light work stuff, but I get about 150 - 300 emails a day from various sources

I use macOS Mail. I received 343 emails yesterday from six sources. Felt pretty typical to me, and I have no problems with macOS Mail's functionality.

Not saying anyone shouldn't use Outlook if they prefer that, just pointing out that many of us that use macOS Mail are not 'light' users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.