Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geejay9876

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
Hi,

given the scary number of smoked M1 machines due to USB problems I am looking for a cold USB-C hub with USB 3 ports, card readers, HDMI port and without power delivery.

I have already superglued the PD port of my i-tec hub to prevent accidental usage and charge only through the second Mac USB port. Still the USB-C hub gets noticeably warm when attaching an HDMI monitor, USB disk, camera and keyboard. According to the system report the disk has a "required" current of 896mA, the Logitech camera, although off, requires allegedely 500mA, the keyboard 90mA. I cant see how much the HDMI port requires in the system report.

The usual culprit for the heat is some sort of voltage converter in these hubs. However all attached devices need 5V so I cant quite understand why the hub emits heat?

Any M1-friendly, cold USB-C Hubs out there?

Cheers

Gerry

GiantKiwi

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Cambridge, UK
Hi,

given the scary number of smoked M1 machines due to USB problems I am looking for a cold USB-C hub with USB 3 ports, card readers, HDMI port and without power delivery.

I have already superglued the PD port of my i-tec hub to prevent accidental usage and charge only through the second Mac USB port. Still the USB-C hub gets noticeably warm when attaching an HDMI monitor, USB disk, camera and keyboard. According to the system report the disk has a "required" current of 896mA, the Logitech camera, although off, requires allegedely 500mA, the keyboard 90mA. I cant see how much the HDMI port requires in the system report.

The usual culprit for the heat is some sort of voltage converter in these hubs. However all attached devices need 5V so I cant quite understand why the hub emits heat?

Any M1-friendly, cold USB-C Hubs out there?

Cheers

Gerry

Because every device is using a voltage regulator regardless of whether it's entirely 5V or not, as required by USB specifications. That produces heat.

geejay9876

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
Because every device is using a voltage regulator regardless of whether it's entirely 5V or not, as required by USB specifications. That produces heat.
The heat dissipation of a buck converter should be minimal even in the case that 5V needs to be dropped to 3V. My humble guess is that most voltage regulators in these hubs are just line regulators burning off heat by splitting the voltage. Unfortunately, my hub cannot be opened to check.

jasperj8

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2020
I'm still looking for non-self-powered USB-C hub that doesn't feel hot or that warm to touch. So far all the ones I got are the dongle-types and indeed they get warm. I haven't had experience with the bigger hubs.

My concern is that if it's not self-powered, will the M1 provide sufficient power to the devices connected?

geejay9876

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
The M1 USB Port can do 15W, 5V at max 3A. You can see the max current of the attached devices in the System report.

Reactions: dmccloud
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.