Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Senater Cache

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
The no-dual socket capability of the core2 platform will either limit the new machines to 2 processor cores or will push intel server technology into the desktop realm

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'd hope/bet WoodCrest, as the PowerMac needs more juice then the Core 2 can give it by itself, and the idea of moving down to a Dual Core Mac, from a Quad based is not a thrilling one

thumb

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
zap2 said:
I'd hope/bet WoodCrest, as the PowerMac needs more juice then the Core 2 can give it by itself, and the idea of moving down to a Dual Core Mac, from a Quad based is not a thrilling one

why would you move at all? keep the quad for at least another generation.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
ThinkSecret isn't nearly as reliable as they used to be, but they are speculating that the Mac Pro will use Conroe rather than Woodcrest, which means it can't come out before Conroe does. Conroe is expected in either July or August. Woodcrest is coming out sooner though, so they could be less than a month away if they use Woodcrest.

I agree with Zap2, I want the high end Pro Mac to maintain quad cores, and I don't think Conroe is capable of that.

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
Chaszmyr said:
I agree with Zap2, I want the high end Pro Mac to maintain quad cores, and I don't think Conroe is capable of that.

So does that mean 4 seperate core2duo/woodcrest chips, or 2 "dual core" chips?

So you can't put two conroes together huh? That sucks, as I hoped the new Powermacs would have a Quad chip (8 cores) option. :/

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
SheriffParker said:
So does that mean 4 seperate core2duo/woodcrest chips, or 2 "dual core" chips?

So you can't put two conroes together huh? That sucks, as I hoped the new Powermacs would have a Quad chip (8 cores) option. :/

That would mean 2 dual core chips. Intel is working on a quad core workstation chip (i forget the code name), but it's gonna be a while.

As far as Conroe is concerned, I haven't officially heard that you cannot put 2 together, but I have also not heard officially that you can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.