Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
My cameras and accessories disconnect pretty badly in my far away cabin.

Are there any contingency ideas that can reboot accessories without having to drive to the HomeKit location and manually unplug it?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York

Are there any contingency ideas that can reboot accessories without having to drive to the HomeKit location and manually unplug it?
Connect them to smart plugs but you’d need some reliable smart plugs that stay online. Perhaps ZigBee based like Aqara. They’re pretty reliable.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Connect them to smart plugs but you’d need some reliable smart plugs that stay online. Perhaps ZigBee based like Aqara. They’re pretty reliable.
Do smart plugs that reboot when disconnected from wifi exists?

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
@symphony I think most zigbee devices will connect to a hub….and that hub would/should be connected to the internet via Ethernet….so as long as the internet is still on line then you would still have remote access to the devices connected to that hub….regardless if the WiFi went down or not.

Well that is how it is for my Philips hue lights and for my Tado radiator TRV’s.

So in theory, you could connect a Philips hue smart plug to an outlet and plug your WiFi AP to that and you would be able to reboot the WiFi AP remotely….obviously this would not work quite as well if your WiFi AP also happens to be be your actual router, as you would lose the remote connection briefly while your router rebooted and reconnected to the internet.

Reactions: Itinj24

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009

This.

Each socket and port can be controlled individually.

marklemac

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Southampton, UK.
I've got one pain in the ass Logitech Circle View that when it disconnects can stay off for hours, sometimes days. Have now put a Meross smart switch on it, whenever I get the disconnect notification now, if the cam doesn't come back on within a few minutes, I flip the switch off/on and the cam reboots. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.