Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Now people have been complaining about the heat of both the MB & the MBP. The usual retort has been that the term "laptop" is now no longer valid. Apple, along with other computer companies advertise these product lines as "notebooks" and there fore are not meant for one to be able to use on one's "lap." Apple, in addition, has a disclaimer on their site regarding using the "notebook" as a laptop - not recommended etc.

But I had a few macbooks and I never experienced heat. I could lay the MB on my lap for as long as I needed to and never experienced a heat level that I could not tolerate.

So I am just wondering if anyone had the same experience with the MBP. Can you actually use it on you lap or is it just hotter than the MB given that it is more powerful and has the aluminum casing as opposed to plastic?

I know that someone will reply with something to the effect that, "all notebooks are hot so deal with it," but as I said, I never had any trouble with the MB's. None of them, three to be exact, were to hot at all.

TIA

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
My MacBook is cool enough to use in the lap but its still uncomfortable, I always use my laptop on a hard surface.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, I convinced my friend to switch recently, and she has a basic MacBook, and no complaints about heat there. Apparently it runs pretty cool, though she only uses it for internet and word processing. Nothing major. My dad, on the other hand, just got a 15" MBP, and his is in the 50's and 60's Celsius all the time. Kinda hot, but not too bad. Maxes out in the 70's if it's folding.

Jamesw

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2006
What is the most correct temperature measure program? Mine temp is always around 22C to 42C but that seems weird. I think my program might be giving me the wrong information. The laptop is SO hot, almost burns to the touch.

Jamesw

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2006
Mine says with my program before; Core1: 33C Core2: 28C but then theres this big number that says 38C im guessing thats something else. As for the program that you told me to install it switches from 33C to 28C and it says 8.4% and then says 1.5Ghz (but my MBP is 2.0GHz) so i dont know.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
The 1.5 could be what it's running at now. I think the processors run slower when they're not under load. 8.4% is the CPU usage at that given time. Mine for example, says "Mini: 1.0Ghz Maxi:1.5Ghz Current: 1.5Ghz" I'm guessing your should say that the "Maxi" is 2.0Ghz.

With the program you're using now... could it also be measuring hard drive temperature?

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
After being threatened to be left at the apple repair centre mine has been more well behaved in terms of temperature I was even able to leave it on my lap yesterday for an hour and it didnt burn me

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
I've got my MacBook on my lap now. Typing this from the couch watching Law & Order SVU. CoreDuo Temp reports that my CPU is at 122 degrees fahrenheit.

Its not so bad when doing regular email and web browsing but when I load up something like a game or Photoshop, it gets a little too warm to comfortably sit on my lap.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i do basic stuff like web browsing, e-mail, word processing, chat, music, and basic photo editing and i can stand to have my MBP on my lap. it actually gets warmer when it's plugged in so having it on my lap running on battery keeps it pretty cool.

cropsy

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2004
After a nasty laptop burn experience with a Sony Vaio a year ago, I've broken the habit of sitting with a laptop actually on my lap.

If I use my MBP on my bed, whilst charging, it gets really hot, uncomfortable to use. If I use it on my desk, the temperature is nowhere near as bad and it's comfortable.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
cropsy said:
After a nasty laptop burn experience with a Sony Vaio a year ago, I've broken the habit of sitting with a laptop actually on my lap.

If I use my MBP on my bed, whilst charging, it gets really hot, uncomfortable to use. If I use it on my desk, the temperature is nowhere near as bad and it's comfortable.

you should never use any laptop on a bed or object that can block its vents and prevent it from breathing properly.

Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.