Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t.n.d.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2021
I think it's time to retire my M1 Mac Mini with 8GB/256GB, which back then I got because I lacked the money and my PC broke.

I'm looking for a system (desktop or laptop) that will grant me the power to learn or work on my projects.

Technologies: Docker, Terraform, Ansible, CI/CD, Scripting, K8s...something around this area.

For Docker I heard that there is a need for around 32GB to work comfortably with it. As for the CPU, I'm not sure if I'll feel any difference if I get the M1 or M2.

What I take into consideration at this point: Base M1 Max Studio (512/32), Base M2 Max Studio (512/32), M2 Mini Pro (512/32) - this one is more expensive than the Base M1 Max Studio si I think it rather get the Studio.

Is there anyone who is actively working as a devops that can give me some buying advice with this one?

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
Not sure what you’re looking for, for example my hobby stuff (home automation, self hosted cloud, git, samba, website, backups) all runs on a single low-power box (an Intel NUC) with a dual core Celeron and 8 GB RAM running Debian, headless, stuck in a poorly ventilated cabinet. They’re mostly Docker containers. (I’m just a dev, I’m not the one responsible for infrastructure in our company.)

You don’t really need that much power to hone your infra skills. If you mostly want an excuse to get a nice machine then yeah, go crazy, but you could also get a reasonable machine that does what you need for your job and entertainment, and a cheap Linux box with lots of cheap RAM for your tinkering. Also because no one runs macOS on their prod infrastructure. You can get a lot of stuff to run on a Mac to get a feel for or interact with the kind of stuff that runs on prod, but at some point you always SSH into a Linux machine. (Except in Windows shops I guess)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.