Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I currently have all Windows based machines but am getting a mac this fall. Maybe someday I'll switch all machines over but I have a lot of WIndows software so want to use Bootcamp. 100% compatibility is required so likely I'll go with Bootcamp, not Parallels. I don't play many games though but have heard of issues with usb devices, etc. Originally I was going to get a macbook but decided on the macbook pro but to pay that amount of money I will be selling my Windows XP based laptop.
My question, the keyboard. I imagine when using bootcamp I can plug a standard windows keyboard in so that I can have all the normal windows keys, but what about the mac keys. I know there is a option key on the mac and I think this is equivalent to the alt key on a pc but are there any other big differences? Are there certain keys that have to emulate certain pc keys or any problems with the keyboard not having all keys. I can imagine for example a start key can be assigned to something else.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If you use a Windows keyboard, you just load the Windows driver for that keyboard (if applicable) and it behaves like any other Windows kb. If you use some generic 102 key, it will just work. If you use a Mac keyboard, certain keys map over (I think Apple -> Windows, etc). The display brightness keys and the eject key should also continue to function. You can also use tools such as InputReMapper to improve on this.

markw10

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Thanks for the help. I am looking at some type of bluetooth/wireless keyboard. I assume since bluetooth is built into macbooks that means I won't have to use any type of adaptor for the notebook to get the keyboard to work. What I mean is it'll work through the computer's bluetooth.
I have always used ergonomic keyboards for windows computers and so far for the apple all I have seen is a combo keyboard/mouse that Microsoft makes for the Mac so I assume it has the mac keys. I may look at Windows keyboards also since they'd work with the Mac. Many times I'll just use the laptop's keyboard but at home when I plug into a monitor I will use the keyboard/mouse combo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.