Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Styg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Got a MacBook Pro 2020 and ran into what seems to be a well known problem that I missed - only one external monitor at a time via Thunderbolt... great. I have two DisplayPort monitors I was hoping to use while in clamshell.

Now, while I have found some docks that have the two DisplayPorts (and are DisplayLink compatible), I'm curious if there's one that has a functional power button that can turn the clamshell MacBook on and off. Is there such a thing?

Thanks in advance!

Teledatageek

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
Upstate New York
I had a MPB Pro 2020 with two monitors (one via HDMI and one via DisplayPort) via a Thunderbolt dock - worked fine in clamshell. I thought only the MBA had the limit of a single screen.

Styg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
I had a MPB Pro 2020 with two monitors (one via HDMI and one via DisplayPort) via a Thunderbolt dock - worked fine in clamshell. I thought only the MBA had the limit of a single screen.
Well I'm aware that there are solutions to getting multiple displays working on these machines - this thread is more about the existence of a dock that has a power button that can turn the laptop on when it's in clamshell.

Teledatageek

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
Upstate New York
Well I'm aware that there are solutions to getting multiple displays working on these machines - this thread is more about the existence of a dock that has a power button that can turn the laptop on when it's in clamshell.
That is a good question. The Startech dock I was using would fire up the Mac with presses on the external keyboard. The one I’m trying now - CalDigit does not seem to do that, that’ll be a return for me if I can’t figure that out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.