Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
So your entire argument is that it's competitive because even though it isn't better at anything and costs 50% more than the competition, it's good for text work, something that every office worker in the world does on a 1080p monitor, if they are lucky?

The reality is it's a luxury purchase. It is a technically unremarkable monitor that carries an extremely high price because it is unnecessarily over engineered and has an Apple logo on it. The same way an apple watch band is $100 from Apple and $500 from Hermes.
With your argument, a 4K display is a luxury, too, since a 1080p will also display text.

Reactions: picpicmac

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I really wonder if there is anything to write about the ASD that hasn't already been written.

al3zza03

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2022
I have a Windows work laptop. Lack of DDC/CI is whats holding me back. Settled on a 4K Dell U2723QE.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Speak for yourself, please. This is in no way universally true.

It is true. Nobody connects their computers to on-prem servers with a cable, you connect to high-end servers wireless for high performance computing. Same with cloud computing. You don‘t connect your cable to the servers of AWS, it all goes wireless.

And the same can be done at home, you can switch between all your computers without a problem at all wireless.

Last edited:

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
That was the case for a few generations of Intel laptops. All ARM MacBook Pros use 2:1 retina integer scaling by default.
I missed that the redesigned models went back to 2:1 scaling. Thanks for the correction. That said, there are plenty of ARM-based Macs that do not, particularly the M1 Airs and M1/M2 13" MBPs.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It is true. Nobody connects their computers to on-prem servers with a cable, you connect to high-end servers wireless for high performance computing. Same with cloud computing. You don‘t connect your cable to the servers of AWS, it all goes wireless.

And the same can be done at home, you can switch between all your computers without a problem at all wireless.

Wow, the arrogance of this is mind blowing. You don't know what circumstances people have. Just because you can't imagine a scenario doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013
If you're considering a cheaper option than the ASD why not get a LG Ultrafine 4K. Great quality. Glossy. and even cheaper 2nd hand. Also has higher contrast ratio than the ASD.

My big issue with the ASD is that I feel like I'm looking at a TV. IMO 24"-25" is the sweet spot for a desktop computer. If the iMac screen was released as an ASD2 that would be even more perfect.

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
For me the downside is the cost and lack of inputs.

That said, I've got two on my desk just now and I'd not hesitate to recommend them to people.

Reactions: dotzero123

Monomono

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
The only downside for me is also lack of inputs but if you use a mac exclusively, then it's fine. On my Pro Display XDR, I have to adjust brightness every time with my mac before I plug in my windows laptop. Otherwise, it's like max sdr brightness. Though I'd say I really do prefer the glossy screen of the apple monitors compared to dell.

Reactions: dotzero123

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
but if you use a mac exclusively, then it's fine.
Which of course is the whole point. The ASD is half a Mac. It's not meant to be a PC monitor. Apple is not in the monitor business. What so many of the whiners miss is that Apple is selling a system: System = ASD + (box Mac of your choice) .

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
Now that the Studio Display has been out for some time, do you feel that the product is too mature in its lifestyle to invest in December 23? Arguments about price aside, is there any reason to wait for the next display?
Have you decided what to do yet?

I don't have an ASD. I have a 2017 27" 5K iMac, and in other discussions it's been indicated the ASD is somewhat similar to that. If it's as good or better, then it ought to be sweet. Given the very high price, I've been following threads on the ASD (my iMac doesn't have Target Display Mode; if I upgrade, I'll need an external monitor). Based on reviews and discussions, I've put together a pro.s and con.s list. I'll put these down, since in theory the hypothetical new version you are curious about would be expected to improve on one or more of them.

Pro.s:

1.) Excellent image.
2.) 5K at 27" (218 pixels/inch) so text should be sharp. 600 Nits brightness should be nice!
3.) Said to have excellent color accuracy right out of the box.
4.) High build quality.
5.) Excellent monitor speaker system (by monitor speaker standards).
6.) Nice aesthetic - industrial, minimalist, etc..., as opposed to a 'cheap plastic' look.
7.) 1 Upstream Thunderbolt 3 port (that can charge a notebook) + 3 downstream USB-C ports (10 Gb/s for peripherals).
8.) Adjustments can be made from your Mac, unlike some competitors.
9.) Glossy, not matte - the Samsung S9 27" 5K is matte finish. Some people prefer glossy.

Con.s:

1.) Very expensive.
2.) Image adjustments need to be made via Mac; lacks external controls for that if you're using a PC. Not sure if PC users have other means to make adjustments.
3.) Lacks HDMI and some other ports (e.g.: older USB ports). From what I understand, not easily connected to console gaming systems.
4.) 60-Hz Refresh rate - should be fine for most uses, and Macs aren't usually chosen as gaming systems, but this does get mentioned.
5.) Webcam quality subpar, possibly a compromise to enable Center Stage functionality.
6.) Power cord is not detachable. Not likely to be a problem, but be careful with that.
7.) The optional height-adjustable stand is ridiculously expensive (my opinion).
8.) Lacks HDR.
9.) Not all ASD's have a VESA mount adapter. Unlike some other monitors, you don't just buy the one with a basic stand and stick it on a VESA arm instead of using the stand. From Apple's website:

"Note: Each stand or mount adapter is built in, so it’s important to consider your workspace needs at the time of purchase. If your needs change after purchase, the stand or mount adapter can be changed to a different option at an Apple Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or Independent Repair Provider, subject to a parts and service fee."

Given that gamers aren't a strong sales demographic for Apple, and the ASD is heavily Mac-centric (not meant to be used with a PC or Play Station 5, etc...), which of these features might get upgraded in a new version someday?

6K 32" Monitor? They already sell a higher end 6K 32" brighter monitor with HDR.
Higher resolution at 27"? If it's 'retina' as is, what's the point? Unlikely.
HDR? I don't have a guess.
Thunderbolt 5 - how much would that benefit you?
Higher refresh rate - I doubt there's strong enough demand.
Better built-in webcam? Another answer pointed out the iPhone can be used as a workaround.

From what others have said, there's not likely to be a new and improved version out real soon. I agree, Apple hasn't put out new branded displays quickly from the past I recall.

Apologies if I got any facts wrong; I've been compiling that pro.s/con.s list for awhile.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
Yes! I absolutely love it. I first tried a 32” gaming monitor that looked like it would be sufficient, but I had random mouse freezes and wasn’t thrilled with the display’s overall quality. Decided that if I’m going to make any significant investment, I’d rather have the ASD which can remain under AppleCare for years to come - less of a gamble in my opinion. I considered LG, BenQ etc., but don’t know what support might look like if I ran into problems down the line. It was lightly discounted through BestBuy and offered 24 payments, so also made it easy for me to purchase without a lot out of pocket up front.

Reactions: drrich2

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022

I don't have an ASD. I have a 2017 27" 5K iMac, and in other discussions it's been indicated the ASD is somewhat similar to that. If it's as good or better, then it ought to be sweet. Given the very high price, I've been following threads on the ASD (my iMac doesn't have Target Display Mode; if I upgrade, I'll need an external monitor). Based on reviews and discussions, I've put together a pro.s and con.s list. I'll put these down, since in theory the hypothetical new version you are curious about would be expected to improve on one or more of them.

Pro.s:

1.) Excellent image.
2.) 5K at 27" (218 pixels/inch) so text should be sharp. 600 Nits brightness should be nice!
4.) High build quality.
6.) Nice aesthetic - industrial, minimalist, etc..., as opposed to a 'cheap plastic' look.
7.) 1 Upstream Thunderbolt 3 port (that can charge a notebook) + 3 downstream USB-C ports (10 Gb/s for peripherals).
9.) Glossy, not matte - the Samsung S9 27" 5K is matte finish. Some people prefer glossy.

Con.s:

1.) Very expensive.
2.) Image adjustments need to be made via Mac; lacks external controls for that if you're using a PC. Not sure if PC users have other means to make adjustments.
3.) Lacks HDMI and some other ports (e.g.: older USB ports). From what I understand, not easily connected to console gaming systems.
4.) 60-Hz Refresh rate - should be fine for most uses, and Macs aren't usually chosen as gaming systems, but this does get mentioned.
5.) Webcam quality subpar, possibly a compromise to enable Center Stage functionality.
6.) Power cord is not detachable. Not likely to be a problem, but be careful with that.
7.) The optional height-adjustable stand is ridiculously expensive (my opinion).
8.) Lacks HDR.
9.) Not all ASD's have a VESA mount adapter. Unlike some other monitors, you don't just buy the one with a basic stand and stick it on a VESA arm instead of using the stand. From Apple's website:

"Note: Each stand or mount adapter is built in, so it’s important to consider your workspace needs at the time of purchase. If your needs change after purchase, the stand or mount adapter can be changed to a different option at an Apple Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or Independent Repair Provider, subject to a parts and service fee."

Given that gamers aren't a strong sales demographic for Apple, and the ASD is heavily Mac-centric (not meant to be used with a PC or Play Station 5, etc...), which of these features might get upgraded in a new version someday?

6K 32" Monitor? They already sell a higher end 6K 32" brighter monitor with HDR.
Better built-in webcam? Another answer pointed out the iPhone can be used as a workaround.

From what others have said, there's not likely to be a new and improved version out real soon. I agree, Apple hasn't put out new branded displays quickly from the past I recall.

Apologies if I got any facts wrong; I've been compiling that pro.s/con.s list for awhile.
This is a solid write up and aligns to my experience mostly.

Couple comments:
Speakers - they are fine, not great. Seem overrated by reviewers IMO. They good enough if one wants to keep a really clean desk. I opted for external speakers and a sub because I regularly use my Mac to listen to podcasts
Webcam - I think it is too harshly reviewed. Looks fine to me and I've only gotten compliments on it. That said, I dislike video conferencing intensely so I'm probably a bad judge!

tornado99

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2013

Pro.s:

1.) Excellent image.
4.) High build quality.

Con.s:

1.) Very expensive.
8.) Lacks HDR.

If you want a cheaper glossy 5K with more ports like HDMI then consider this. Reviews elsewhere on this forum.

Reactions: drrich2

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
There's also a reddit thread with a review from a guy who claims he tried 4 and sent them back due to defects.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/17w431a
He did report the return process was smooth and simple, and said their customer service was great, really responsive. He said the monitor doesn't have speakers or auto-dimming.

If someone has a strong interest, I'd cast the net broadly for reviews, then inquire what the send-back process would be if needed (e.g.: make sure you can mail it back within your own country, perhaps?).

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It should also be mentioned that the Samsung 5k monitor (the one that is virtually identical to the ASD) has been on sale for less than athousand dollars for weeks. I saw it for just over $800 last week. I'd love to see someone justify spending over twice the price to get less functionality other than it having an Apple logo.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
It should also be mentioned that the Samsung 5k monitor (the one that is virtually identical to the ASD) has been on sale for less than athousand dollars for weeks. I saw it for just over $800 last week. I'd love to see someone justify spending over twice the price to get less functionality other than it having an Apple logo.
At half the price, as much as I like the ASD, I'm for sure buying the Samsung.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Con.s:

1.) Very expensive.
2.) Image adjustments need to be made via Mac
Don't know why "2)" is listed under "Con".

The ASD is a Mac. It's half a Mac, to be more precise. The offering by Apple Inc. is this:

IF YOU WANT A MAC DESKTOP:
... and don't want an all-in-one...
THEN select your primary output device:
A: the ASD, or
B: the XDR.
THEN select the box you want go with it (if you don't already have a Mac CPU of some sort):
I: Mac Mini, or
II: Mac Studio, or
III: Mac Pro.
THEN select your input devices (if you don't have them):
1: keyboard, and
2: one or more point devices.
Apple is not in the monitor business. Let me repeat that: Apple is not in the monitor business.

Apple is in the solutions business. It is offering solutions for business, professional, or personal computing.

Treating the ASD or XDR as if they should be on the shelf at Best Buy with a hundred other monitors is not the intended sales process.

So many people seem to miss this point. Even though Apple has indicated pretty clearly by the design, specs, and sales literature the points I made above. Only a few YouTubers I've come across honestly deal with this fact.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
I'd love to see someone justify spending over twice the price to get less functionality other than it having an Apple logo.
That "logo" also means full support from the company, and if one does AppleCare full support as long as you keep AC.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that service costs?

Go ahead, get the Samsung, and when you discover it is not 100% interoperable with your Mac box, or when you discover months down the line that something is wrong and you need to get it fixed, then get back to us after your 5-year ownership experience.

I'm all for competition in the marketplace, but don't pretend the Samsung is the same as the ASD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.