Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA
Just wondering if anyone installed and not having issues? I have it downloaded but am a little trepidatious. I don't want to wait.....! I have installed beta versions of OS's for years with reckless disregard. But I love the functionality of this particular Mac and would hate to lose a couple hours reverting back to Mavericks.

So, what's your experience?

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Personally, I've noticed no real negative impact. Safari feels a tiny bit slower, but even that's likely a placebo that I want to believe because it's beta (that's how little the difference is). I've rebooted twice since installation, and I will say that performance and battery life were vastly improved in doing so.

Ymmv, but I'm stable as Mavericks on my late 2013 rMBP. Xcode 6 is a different story, but that's beta software running on a beta OS, let's get real here.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Running Yosemite on an 11" 1.8GHz i7 MacBook Air.

So far it's stable but slow. Airplay display (via 5GHz wifi) as a second display was really slow and choppy.
The apps I'm using on this machine (Office '11, Evernote, Preview, Safari, Calendar, One Note, Dropbox client, Google drive client) work without crashing so far.

But there are some glitches in the finder and some bits of the UI are unfinished. Battery life isn't great and the machine runs warm.

Definitely this is beta software. I do not advise installing Yosemite DP1 on a machine required for daily work.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I'm using a 2.9GHz Core i7 mid-2012 cMBP with 8GB of RAM on a stock 5400 RPM HDD. Honestly, Yosemite is working great for me. The UI is butter smooth, except for Finder... which has never been smooth for me, likely because of the HDD. Safari hangs a bit more than it did on Mavericks and there are a couple of (expected) baffling UI glitches, but overall it is an absolute joy to use. iOS 8 on the other hand... :eek:

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Worked as advertised for me ...

On both my 27 inch iMac and 15 inch MBPR the install went per usual and when after the first boot a message popped up that performance might be hindered while whatever happened.... oh my God performance did suffer but right now 10.10 screams on both of them. The iMac has 32 gigs of ram and the Macbook has 16, if that matters.

makdeniss

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
European Union
I've had it running on a MBPr i7 2.0 and as mentioned before it is stable but kind of slow. Let's see what they'll do to improve the responsiveness.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Just answering this thread will probably jinx it, but my install went flawless and my Air is running great! I tested every app I have installed and all of them worked except for iMovie (known not to work)

2013 11" MBA running Scrivener, Office 2011, iWork, DropBox, logmein, Storyist, iStat Menus, various networking utilites, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, itunes, Garage Band, iPhoto. All run great!

It does seem to get a bit warmer, but battery life seems typical so far.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Just wondering if anyone installed and not having issues? I have it downloaded but am a little trepidatious. I don't want to wait.....! I have installed beta versions of OS's for years with reckless disregard. But I love the functionality of this particular Mac and would hate to lose a couple hours reverting back to Mavericks.

So, what's your experience?

It's not flawless, and no one will say it is.

I would recommend installing it on a separate partition.

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA
With more good responses than bad, I think I will give it a try tomorrow. Usually the bad speaks louder than the good, and in this case, that's not what I am hearing.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I have been testing iOS 8 on iPhone 5s, iPad Mini with very little problems to speak of. The App that simply will not work that I would like is 1Password. But that is just an inconvenience for me.

I have also been testing Yosemite on a Mac Mini and Macbook Air. 1Password does work fine on these. However, the biggest issue for me is that Mail crashes pretty often.

So things are going as expected for the first beta release. I expect it to get better as the beta progresses.

Lastly, this is fun for me and I can get around issues. Most people would not consider dealing with problems as fun. So, be prepared for the worst so your expectations are not that high. And have a BACKUP.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Early 08 Mac Pro/14GB/2-quad core

I can't believe how well it's working. It is so much (subjectively) faster than Mavericks. All my 3ed party Apps (including Parallels 8.0), printers and scanner work too.

I thought the first builds of Yosemite would be problems so was planning on using Mavericks for day to day. However so far I'm all in on Yosemite.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Early 08 Mac Pro/14GB/2-quad core

I can't believe how well it's working. It is so much (subjectively) faster than Mavericks. All my 3ed party Apps (including Parallels 8.0), printers and scanner work too.

I thought the first builds of Yosemite would be problems so was planning on using Mavericks for day to day. However so far I'm all in on Yosemite.

That's probably because normally you don't ever need 14GB of RAM, but in this scenario this might actually compensate for poor DP1 ram management, so some of the performance issues typical for DP1 aren't applicable for you. ;)

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Nope. I am a little amazed that people are saying Yosemite works 100% flawlessly for them, I am finding small bugs here and there and I find it has not yet been optimised for battery life. Im sure things will improve quickly but it is still a fairly early beta.

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
Pretty good over here as well. It doesn't seem as fast as Mavericks on a cMBP but so far it's a highly usable beta.

I was joking with a co-worker yesterday who had just finished up his install about how it's more usable than a finished version of windows.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
More than most betas, DP1 is very much YMMV. Depending on your specific workflow, and the specific programs you run, you may find it reasonably smooth sailing or completely unworkable.

A few examples:
  • Many video editing packages crash on startup (FCPX, iMovie, AfterEffects)
  • Other programs crash or won't run (OmniOutliner 4, MacPorts port upgrade, Bartender release)
  • You may experience consistent bugs that you trigger very often in your workflow. E.g. I can reliably crash safari by doing searches in the address bar.

There are workarounds for many of these. Or, if you use your computer differently than I do, you may not encounter these problems at all. But it's very hard to predict in advance.

For me, I'm using it on my daily driver, but at the same time I have a second machine and a very good setup of data sync and backups so that I could be working quickly even if this machine is unusable for some reason.

My personal recommendation is that if you have the time and interest to work through these issues (including submitting bug reports), go ahead and have fun. If not, wait for a future beta. DP1 is always pretty rocky.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Installed on a 2012 Mac Mini, no problem so far, but then I rebooted and it got stuck.
Tried safe boot, no luck, started up in verbose mode, it hangs at : pci, waiting for SDXC, I removed that extension, still no luck.
Removed all logs from all Log Folders, I thought I could see the cause in the logs after trying again, there where no logs after a resart, I also removed all caches, after a restart all Cache folders were empty.
This tells me that it got stuck early in the boot process or the permissions where messed up, if that is the case then even the System can't write to the disk.
Sadly I can't repair permissions from Mavericks, the permission repair is greyed out.
I will try to start up the install again and see if I can repair it with disk utilities from within the installer.

Some nice features inside Yosemity, but, I don't really like the way they go with colours, like those odd coloured folders in the Finder, looks like cough cough...Windows.

Edit: Reinstalled, works, then restarted, same problem-hangs on boot screen.:confused:

Guess I wait for the next DP.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.