Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I would like an Ipad Mini alternative tablet strictly for writing and reading, purposefully cheap as I don't want to do anything else on the tablet, the one thing though, I prefer to have a writing and or notetaking app that is end to end encrypted, other than Apple's new advanced data protection, does it exist in a free format?

I have searched Google and I can't seem to find anything, thanks for your help.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I prefer to have a writing and or notetaking app that is end to end encrypted
If an app saves data to the iPad, the data is encrypted. If an app saves data to iCloud, the data is end to end encrypted. If an app saves data any where else, encryption will be dependent on the “where” (i.e. DropBox, etc). Do you have a particular app or “where” in mind?

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
If an app saves data to the iPad, the data is encrypted. If an app saves data to iCloud, the data is end to end encrypted. If an app saves data any where else, encryption will be dependent on the “where” (i.e. DropBox, etc). Do you have a particular app or “where” in mind?

The idea was to buy a Lenovo Tablet M8, reason being the less distractions the better, I just want an ability to write when on the road without my Macbook, or fast note taking at home, and the ability to split the screen with a tablet. I could just get an Ipad or Ipad Mini but again, I don't really want it for anything other than reading or writing and I feel like with the bare bones Lenovo, I won't be tempted to use it for anything else.

But here is the problem, I would like writing file to update in real time from my Macbook to the tablet and vice versa, so if I work on something, I won't have to manually update the file on either device. And that is where I would like a cloud service that is not Icloud but is end to end encrypted and updates in real time.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I've never used them, but pCloud and Proton Drive may be worth a look.

UliBaer

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
Have a look @ mega.nz 20GB for free and encrypted.
It is completely independent from all systems, has apps for all mobiles and desktops.
I use it!

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
Google Keep, Standard Notes, Obsidian, Office 365, etc. Most every cloud app offers it. Some are free, but most have premium tiers too.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Keep Data is encrypted in-transit and at-rest. But I did mean Microsoft 365, not Office. Oops.
Is "in-transit and at rest" not the same thing as E2EE? Is it just a semantic argument or fundamentally different?

E2EE is when the third-party storing your data doesn’t have the means to decrypt it. Google and Microsoft have the decryption keys with their services, so they can decrypt everything you store with them. Encryption at rest mainly helps protects you from security breaches that may occur in the cloud.

Apollo68

Suspended
Dec 17, 2023
I would say that alphabet's services are generally pretty secure for non mission critical tasks. It all really depends on what your budget is an what your tolerance to risk is, even though it is frankly minimal for the average individual. In most cases, "e2ee" is just marketing bullsh1t to get consumers to fork over more money for crap they don't need. That said, if you truly want something secure, set up your own file server, either in your home with your own hardware (its not that hard) or in a linode instance.

Last edited:

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
I get the need for minimalistic simplicity. But i'd argue that having an iPad (Barebones with all but mission critical apps deleted) will be more liveable than a hodgepodge of iOS + Android.

I myself use an iPad exclusively for Zotero + Notes (Editor) + Obsidian (Storage)

my .02c

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.