Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I have recently become interested in streaming games from time to time, and I'm looking for a good streaming software for macOS. So far I haven't been too successful.

Of course, there's OBS, but I find it quite unwelcoming. The user interface is fairly unintuitive and badly designed, you have to jump through a bunch of extra hoops to get it to capture sound and game video on a Mac, and I constantly run into problems with its reliability. And it doesn't seem to work well with Metal based games.

The only other option I have found and actually also paid for so far is Gameshow, but I'm increasingly suspicious that this is a scam: while the trial version worked reasonably well, the application instantly broke after activating it with the serial and now not even launches. Support for that application seems non-existent.

Are there any other streaming applications for macOS?

YYsMD

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2017
OBS requires you to look through all of the menus and options to understand what they do, but it really isn't that hard. At the end of the day, its free, open source and feature rich. I use it a lot and having gotten used to where all the buttons are, there really hasn't been an issue. Persevere

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
OBS requires you to look through all of the menus and options to understand what they do, but it really isn't that hard. At the end of the day, its free, open source and feature rich. I use it a lot and having gotten used to where all the buttons are, there really hasn't been an issue. Persevere
My major gripe with OBS (on Mac) is that it's so bloody unreliable in regard to capturing. Capturing games directly (via Syphon) fails (in my experience) half of the time: either OBS doesn't see the game in the first place, or injecting Syphon does nothing, or OBS locks up. Even when the direct capture succeeds, there can be issues as I had the capture actually missing content on the display. Especially text overlays (in HUDs) and loading screens seem to be prone to that.

Window capturing is more reliable, but OBS sometimes does not actually find the game's window - for what reason ever. It's also not always applicable.

The only capturing method that seems to be working every time is screen capturing, but that's very unelegant (and also not always desireable).

GeForce Now and Steam in-home both work well for me
Thanks, but I guess you misunderstood what kind of streaming I meant. ;)

YYsMD

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2017
Hmm, i guess i'v always just had it set to screen capture. Being able to set up 'scenes' and switch between them with a hotkey meant that if I needed to fiddle with settings on the mains screen (frequently when capturing from an analogue source), I'd punch F2 and a 'berightback.png' or 'interval.mp4' would be stuck on-top of the screen for viewers.

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
My major gripe with OBS (on Mac) is that it's so bloody unreliable in regard to capturing. Capturing games directly (via Syphon) fails (in my experience) half of the time: either OBS doesn't see the game in the first place, or injecting Syphon does nothing, or OBS locks up. Even when the direct capture succeeds, there can be issues as I had the capture actually missing content on the display. Especially text overlays (in HUDs) and loading screens seem to be prone to that.

Window capturing is more reliable, but OBS sometimes does not actually find the game's window - for what reason ever. It's also not always applicable.

The only capturing method that seems to be working every time is screen capturing, but that's very unelegant (and also not always desireable).

Thanks, but I guess you misunderstood what kind of streaming I meant. ;)
My bad. Sorry

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.