Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
Ok here is my little story.

I have a PC as well as this Powerbook. Its not cutting edge its a Dell Dimension with a P4 2.66 Ghz , 1 MB of Ram, brand new Nvidia Geforce graphics card and 200 Mb hard drive.

Basically its not totally out of the ark yet.

I joked with a family member no way would I buy Vista but maybe somebody would spend the money for me. This was not a hint but guess what I got gift wrapped today :D Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade.

After making sure to back up the drive with Drive Image 7 ;)

In I blundered. Well guess what installation stopped almost immediately and it told me to uninstall

Nero 6 reloaded, Drive Image 7, Diskeeper 8, and NOD32.

Ok the first 3 are ulilities and a wee bit old fair enough but NOD32 was bang up to date :mad:

Anyway a bit of add/remove programs fun I start again.

I get more messages this time it would install BUT my Scanner Epson perfection 1250 had no vista drivers, my version of Java was incompatible and worst of all my fancy brand new graphics card with designed for VISTA on the box was not gaurenteed to work properly either :(

Anyways ploughed ahead 2 hours later :eek: :rolleyes:

OK desktop was pretty enough I had to admit, hey I might be able to whip this thing to my liking. However when I started to really use it.

external cardreader on my Epson Stylus 915 , no driver no workey :mad:

Steganos Safe hung when closing a drive :mad:

Palm desktop did the same at end of a sync :mad:

Vista search did not seem to want to search mail or contacts in my version of Outlook 2002. Ok its not the latest version but google search and Yahoo desktop search both managed it fine :mad:

Basically If I want to run Vista I will have to fork out a forture on new software and maybe new hardware also.

Typing this as something to do as Drive Image sends Vista to the land of Wind and Ghosts.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Heh my mum wanted me to try and install vista home basic or whatever on a 256mb RAM 800mhz CD Rewriteable 6 year old pile of poop, and when she didnt beleive it wasn't anywhere near the required specs she asked a PC world employee and was shocked at what she found. She shall be buying a Mac Mini come Leopard-Sweetness-Spring-Time.

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
My story - I didn't and I won't. I haven't even turned on my XP system for about a month now - and very little since I converted to the Mac.

I suppose I should devote some time to downloading all the ms security patches, just in case!

inmotion

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2005
Toronto
what can i say.
as much as i love my mac... i had to try the new vista.
well with a combination of the latest parallel and a external usb 2.0 hdd vista was up and running just as it was suppose to be
which is why,
i am back on the mac

"do you authorize this post? accept or deny?"

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I saw this as a guys sig on another forum

I am running Windows Vista Ultimate on a Sinclair ZX Spectrum , it takes me 200 hours to boot it from 100 C120 Tapes , oh no the RAM pack has just wobbled again

:apple:

I would like to try it on my Atari 400. I think the baud rate on the cassettes are a bit faster - maybe only 87 tapes? Ideas anyone???
:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.