Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riker1384

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
West Coast
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for somewhat rugged cases for the 13 mini. (Or if you have a 12 mini, there are probably similar cases available for both.)

My criteria are:
-protective, must have some amount of shock absorption
-not too bulky
-must have decent grip

I haven't been able to find one I like. The Otterbox Defender is too fat to carry in my pocket. The Otterbox Commuter is slimmer and seems almost perfect, but the outside is mostly hard plastic and I worry that it will increase the frequency of drops. I like the Apple silicone cases when I'm using an older phone but with a valuable brand-new phone I'd rather have something more protective.

riker1384

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
West Coast
Overlooked and underrated, an excellent case.
Fits all 3 of your criteria.
Inexpensive as well.

I saw that on Wirecutter, but there are a few reviews saying that people's phones shattered when dropped. And some saying the case doesn't hold up very well over time.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I've been rocking the Clear Case with MagSafe on my 13 mini for some months now; I finally got my fill of chipping, basically-useless Silicone Cases. As far as the official Apple cases go, I've finally realized that for the Clear Case is by far the best protection for the least money. Major drawback is that it is majorly slippery.

Sorry if that was totally irrelevant to your question but I thought maybe it could help someone else :)

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
I saw that on Wirecutter, but there are a few reviews saying that people's phones shattered when dropped. And some saying the case doesn't hold up very well over time.
It's a flexible, almost rubbery material.
Shattering is the last thing I would expect.
"doesn't hold up very well" in what ways?
I've had mine 14 months, I'd replace it with another if I needed another.

riker1384

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
West Coast
It's a flexible, almost rubbery material.
Shattering is the last thing I would expect.
"doesn't hold up very well" in what ways?
I've had mine 14 months, I'd replace it with another if I needed another.

There are a number of Amazon reviews saying the case fell apart after a few months, usually the sides separating from the back. And a few saying that it didn't protect the phone properly and their phone shattered when they dropped it.

How many times have you dropped your phone with this case on?

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
There are a number of Amazon reviews saying the case fell apart after a few months, usually the sides separating from the back. And a few saying that it didn't protect the phone properly and their phone shattered when they dropped it.

How many times have you dropped your phone with this case on?
Once in 14 months.
I don't drop my phone as a rule.
The case is in the event that I do.
Not to argue the point, but I just did a search in the Amazon review section using their search feature for the reviews.
I could not find any complaints of phone shattering, sides separating, or falling apart.
Hope you find what you like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.