Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Since Apple announced the iMac with HS and vive support for unreal/fcp, does anyone know how this stands.
I have a Rift DK2 attached to my macpro, I have drivers for osx which you need to run it.
Is it the same with the Vive, as there are no drivers on the website, or are these included in HS?
I am not interested in gaming, it is for viewing 360 cg renders.

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
I have a Vive running on my top-of-the-line iMac. I had a bit of trouble finding a HDMI adapter that would work.
On the OS X side I am using unity with the appropriate beta software. I got it working a couple months ago and have not updated anything since so I’m not sure if the beta stuff still necessary.
On the bootcamped windows 10 side it just works. Even with the relatively slow graphics card that is the fastest that is currently available on the iMac I find that most valves VR games work fine.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Thanks dude.
I have an rx580 which has hdmi.
Does the vive have any kind of interface in osx?
With the rift there is a setup panel for extended/mirrored display etc.

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
Thanks dude.
I have an rx580 which has hdmi.
Does the vive have any kind of interface in osx?
With the rift there is a setup panel for extended/mirrored display etc.

The Vive uses steamVR to interface with OSX High Sierra. Since I had not set this up for a couple months I just spent the last half hour setting up from scratch.
With the vive plugged in I went to Store.steampowered.com. In the upper right side of the website there is a install steam button. After installing steam and signing in with an steam account the Software automatically detects the headset and ask if you wish to install steam VR. After following the instructions on setting up the room scale VR It appears to be working.
Now the issue is finding a VR program that works on OS X . Steam is supposed to come with a Tutorial that should launch after room setup.
Unfortunately it says the program is missing. I’m not sure which, if any, of the VR games steam supplies is compatible with OS X. I do know that the Unity3d development environment is compatible since I used it earlier.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
I use the kolor gopro vr player (free) with my rift for viewing.
It is supposed to be compatible with vive also!

Just not sure if it would detect a vive on a mac though, if no ‘drivers’ are installed.
With a rift you install an sdk runtime.

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
I use the kolor gopro vr player (free) with my rift for viewing.
It is supposed to be compatible with vive also!

Just not sure if it would detect a vive on a mac though, if no ‘drivers’ are installed.
With a rift you install an sdk runtime.
So I went to give it a try. It looks like you need a sample spherical Video file.
Looked a bit around the Internet for something I can download but couldn’t find anything. If you know where I could find a file to try I’ll give a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.