Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Only just came up as an import option in a newer iMovie to the one I've always used, but never seen it offered before in other apps. Or (null) which I've now deleted anyway as it doesn't open, and what does Alias mean?

It's also got a 'Welcome to Snow Leopard' in that Chinese file as well, which you'd think would have been overwritten a good few OS updates ago? May have always been there, I've just never seen it come up before.

Screen Shot 2024-04-08 at 16.58.40.png

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
If you haven't deleted it, you could copy and paste the folder name into Google Translate:

An "Alias" type means this:
Thanks...

User manual and information

but why not say that in English? And why Snow Leopard still

Alias still means nothing to me really, I don't know what its an alias for as it doesn't open

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If the alias won't open, the only option I can think of is to Get Info on it and see where it originally pointed to.

Maybe someone created it in Snow Leopard times. Or it's left over from that time. That's just a guess, because we don't know the history of the system.

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
If the alias won't open, the only option I can think of is to Get Info on it and see where it originally pointed to.

Maybe someone created it in Snow Leopard times. Or it's left over from that time. That's just a guess, because we don't know the history of the system.
Thanks, nothing on the Get Info, I moved it to Trash, and just says High Sierra, which is name of SSD.
MBP 2011 came with SL.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The folder with the Asian characters in post 1 above is an alias.

Be aware that if you delete the alias, the original folder/file (which may still have Asian characters) will STILL BE THERE.

So what I would do is
- Click ONE time on the alias file
- Type "command-i" to bring up the get info box
- Look in get info to see where the original folder is located
- Go to where the original file/folder is
- Move the ORIGINAL to the trash
- Now, move the alias to the trash
- Empty the trash to get rid of BOTH of them.

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
The folder with the Asian characters in post 1 above is an alias.

Be aware that if you delete the alias, the original folder/file (which may still have Asian characters) will STILL BE THERE.

So what I would do is
- Click ONE time on the alias file
- Type "command-i" to bring up the get info box
- Look in get info to see where the original folder is located
- Go to where the original file/folder is
- Move the ORIGINAL to the trash
- Now, move the alias to the trash
- Empty the trash to get rid of BOTH of them.
Nice one, thank you.
The 'null' alias at top wouldn't open at all, hence null I spose, but no idea what that ever was, so just got rid of that one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.