Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Torrent client and Safari/seemingly iCloud etc stop working with VPN enabled but Chrome works fine?

Any idea what could be at play here when all worked well with VPN enabled?

I know its beta, but still I'm trying to discover why.

Even with VPN enabled, going to router console with 192.168.blah blah works

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Are you using the built in VPN client? Or a third party? May be an issue with whatever client you're using. I know for Cisco AnyConnect SSL VPN I had to disable rootless, reboot, reinstall AnyConnect, enable rootless and reboot. Then it worked for me.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I disable rootless to be able to modify a display file and get resolutions that weren't supported out of the box.

It's a 3rd party VPN client, how does one re-enable rootless?

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0"

^ that's the command I used to disable it, do I just change rootless=1

I wonder why rootless being disable would affect VPN insofar as work with Chrome but nothing else.

Last edited:

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
The buildin VPN client connecting to Cisco company network - works perfectly without rootless workaround

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
running "sudo nvram -d boot-args" and rebooting OS X didn't seem to solve the problem.

still only working with Chrome. so strange

vpn is pia

Last edited:

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
You might just want to submit a ticket to PIA. The couple times I've worked with them, I've always gotten prompt responses.

What happens if you turn on the internet kill switch in the client?

I'd be curious if your Safari traffic is routed over the VPN, but perhaps there is a bug on Safari that exposes your home IP (I seem to remember Firefox having a vulnerability like that a while back).

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Haven't tried internet kill switch yet,

I don't think it's a bug specific to Safari, since iCloud and torrents seem to not work either with it on.

i think it's more like nothing seems to work BUT chrome oddly enough

Also I wonder how helpful they would be with ticketing on a new OS that is in DP phase and released days ago..

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
Are you not getting any network connectivity through Safari and your torrent client? Or are you just not sure they're routing through the VPN?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
No connectivity, pages don't load at all they just get hung up, but as soon as I disconnect within the client or kill the app all together, the page request loads.

Whats odd though is logging into my router dash does work within Safari, even with VPN enabled.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I only mentioned reenabling rootless because out of the box, that is how the OS starts and my instructions gave a full start to finish so you end up where you started but with VPN. It wasn't required for AnyConnect to run... you just can't install the client with rootless enabled.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
fixed it! had to use another VPN client.

Tunnelblick with profile worked :D

I was about to wipe and re-configure my machine, didnt want to out of laziness and because I'm already enjoying the butteryness of El Cap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.