Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

So, long story short (which you can find the longer version in one of the threads), I have two iPad Minis (current model), one that is unopened.

I’ve tried selling it locally, but no dice (at least not for a realistic price).

I’m thinking of just keeping both, but I’m wondering what I could use a spare iPad Mini for.

How bad would it be to leave an iPad connected to power 24/7?

Any ideas, suggestions, etc?

Thanks!

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
You have a few options that might be worthwhile

- Use it to mirror to the TV so you have a larger screen for internet browsing etc
- Use it for FaceTime calls with family and friends and display photos as a screensaver
- Sell it to MM and put towards the iPhone 15 when it launches 😉
- Give to a family member for Christmas so it gets used
- Use it as a security camera for your property
- Use it as an e-reader

Just a few ideas for you 😃

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hi everyone,

So, long story short (which you can find the longer version in one of the threads), I have two iPad Minis (current model), one that is unopened.

I’ve tried selling it locally, but no dice (at least not for a realistic price).

I’m thinking of just keeping both, but I’m wondering what I could use a spare iPad Mini for.

Thanks!

What are you planning on doing with it that requires being plugged in 24/7?

Note, I often leave my iPad plugged in at the office during the work week so what I did was to get a HomeKit smart plug (Meross) and set up automatic charging so it stays between 60-90%.

I believe 40-60% or even 50-80% would be better for battery health. For practical reasons though (in case I need to use the iPad on the go), 60-90% works better for me.

phoenix-mac-user

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Get a magnetic case and put it on the fridge as a family notes/general purpose device. You could put a fingerprint for each family member in and notes on the home screen for shopping lists or errands, maybe even have a family calendar.

xantufrog

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2023
What’s a “realistic price”? IMO if you decide you can’t figure out what to do with it then it’s a waste to come up with some random use you don’t want or need just for the sake of sticking to your guns, instead of selling it for a price people want to pay, donating it to a charity, or gifting it. Someone could really use it!

Last edited:

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
May 28, 2023
I would sell it. Would not even consider thinking about keeping it tbh. As someone who sells a lot of stuff private since years: you have to make a good price. I see this so often that people want an unrealistic price that is almost near the retail price. You must be very very lucky to find someone who will pay that price to a private person. I would suggest you to think about it and sell it for a real realistic price. Just my thoughts.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Pretty bad for the battery, you would degrade it very quickly

I’m pretty sure the devices cope pretty well with that. Ideal, no. Quick degrade, no.

Not that it would matter to someone with a spare and no use case.

Boeingfan

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2019
Australia
Get a magnetic case and put it on the fridge as a family notes/general purpose device. You could put a fingerprint for each family member in and notes on the home screen for shopping lists or errands, maybe even have a family calendar.
Maybe use it as a biometric reader in order to access that same fridge! :D

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Kinda like the new Samsung fridges but this is where Face ID would be very useful. Interesting concept to use the mini that way, id be more inclined to used an air or pro for the size.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

sell opened one to Music Magpie & enjoy the box-fresh setup experience all over again.

or give it a friend or relative who'd make use of it & can't afford to buy their own.

scratch that - I read the other thread & saw you bought one you didn't need, and then another because it was cheaper, and then fluffed up both returns. "Architect of your own misfortune".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bearygoodfries1

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2020
So, I’m still debating on what to do with the spare unopened iPad mini LOL.

I think I’ll just use one for media consumption, social media, and keep memes and stuff in there.

I’ll use the other for other things, like school, calendar, notes, work stuff, etc.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

I think I’ll just use one for media consumption, social media, and keep memes and stuff in there.

I’ll use the other for other things, like school, calendar, notes, work stuff, etc.
Funny enough I am in a similar situation, but while you have 2 mini 6 I have 2 mini 5.
I have had one since 2019 but recently I found an identical one (64GB cellular) for $150 and I could not pass the deal (there were some scuffs on the back and sides but other than that it works perfectly and it actually has better battery health than mine...)
So now I have 2 which I basically use for the same thing. I'll probably use the 2nd one to test newer iPadOS versions...

Reactions: Bearygoodfries1

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth

You don't need two minis to do all of that.

You can just store all of your media, and work on it, on the same device (as long as it's the 256GB model). Sell the unopened one for about 10-20% less than the retail price. If someone's on the fence and wants it lowered by no more than $50, do so and sell. If for whatever reason you want to sell the opened one instead, chop the price by another 20%.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon

Keep the one with the bigger storage, unless both of them having the same size… and give the other one as a present to a family member.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023

Do not overthinking it. You can do as you mentioned if selling or giving it is not the best way for you. Life is too short for overthinking anything 😊

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.