Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
I'm looking for a iPhone photo app that will allow me to either store photos separate from the Camera Roll or at least allow me to copy photos from the Camera Roll without displaying everything in my Camera Roll. If I just want to display 10 photos then the kind of app I'm looking for would allow me to copy just 10 photos from the Camera Roll.

For example, I'd like to be able to keep work photos separate from personal. Or if I need to show my doctor a photo of a suspicious skin growth, I don't want him to see a bunch of pet and work photos accidentally.

Apple's Photos app is just too busy and cluttered and it mixes up screenshots, photos of documents, work, etc with one's personal photos.

Anyone know of a photo album/display app that can do this?

Last edited:

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Is there a reason why you're not creating albums to separate photos you want to keep apart from each other? If that's just not separate enough for you, you could create different Photos libraries. This will require some discipline to import your images to the right library.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Is there a reason why you're not creating albums to separate photos you want to keep apart from each other?

Separate albums don't solve the problem with the Photos app showing other photos when you launch it. If Library is selected when you launch Photos, it displays all your recent photos. If "For You" is selected, it shows "Memories" etc. If "Albums" is selected, you see a bunch of thumbnails from other albums. It's too easy to accidentally show photos that you don't want seen.

If I'm seeing a client or my doctor and I need to show them some photos, I want to be able to choose just those photos so when I launch the app, it's *only* those photos and no others so there's no risk of contamination, embarrassment, or time wasted searching for the right photos.

Reactions: max2

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I use the app Photo Manager Pro for my general display and store of photos away from Photos built-in app. I can import from the Camera Roll or upload from external sources.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
you can organize your photos in folders using Apple Files, FileBrowser, etc.. If you want to edit these images, use referenced folders etc. you can use e.g. RAWPower.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
I use the app Photo Manager Pro for my general display and store of photos away from Photos built-in app. I can import from the Camera Roll or upload from external sources.
By default, does it display all the photos in your Camera Roll when you first launch it? Or is it empty at first?

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
you can organize your photos in folders using Apple Files, FileBrowser, etc.. If you want to edit these images, use referenced folders etc. you can use e.g. RAWPower.

Hmm, using Files is a good suggestion. I can set up custom folders for any photos.

TorbenIbsen

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2021
You mention doctors and clients. This makes me assume that it is a limited amount of photos and situations where your wish is important.

How about creating a few folders in the Apple Notes app and then "share" the relevant photos into those folders. A folder for "doctor A", "doctor B", "client C", "client D" and so on. - You can even lock these notes with passwords if you like. - If you want more options for organizing and search you will probably want the app "Keep It" (Keep It Mobile on iPhone/iPad). Subscription necessary.

Reactions: max2 and Idgit

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
You mention doctors and clients. This makes me assume that it is a limited amount of photos and situations where your wish is important.

How about creating a few folders in the Apple Notes app and then "share" the relevant photos into those folders. A folder for "doctor A", "doctor B", "client C", "client D" and so on. - You can even lock these notes with passwords if you like. - If you want more options for organizing and search you will probably want the app "Keep It" (Keep It Mobile on iPhone/iPad). Subscription necessary.

Interesting alternative solution. I forgot that you can add photos to Notes.

BugMeNot420

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2023
I'm looking for a iPhone photo app that will allow me to either store photos separate from the Camera Roll or at least allow me to copy photos from the Camera Roll without displaying everything in my Camera Roll. If I just want to display 10 photos then the kind of app I'm looking for would allow me to copy just 10 photos from the Camera Roll.

For example, I'd like to be able to keep work photos separate from personal. Or if I need to show my doctor a photo of a suspicious skin growth, I don't want him to see a bunch of pet and work photos accidentally.

Apple's Photos app is just too busy and cluttered and it mixes up screenshots, photos of documents, work, etc with one's personal photos.

Anyone know of a photo album/display app that can do this?

If using Dropbox isn't a viable solution, how about "Camera+ Legacy"

I was looking to solve a similar problem; Camera+ Legacy has a Lightbox feature, where you can take photos and it will save it to the app's camera roll sandbox, which you can choose to export to the Apple Camera Roll.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.